Raleigh Mojave 8.0 vs Gary Fisher Piranha- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Raleigh Mojave 8.0 vs Gary Fisher Piranha

I am trying to decide between these two bikes. Before I moved to the US I had a UK built Raeligh and I was very happy with it. It took a lot of abuse and never let me down. I was planning to get another Raleigh but I've been told that I might be better off with a fisher. I've ridden both & they both seem like nice bikes. They are also both the same price. I am pretty confident in the Raleigh frame but I don't know a lot about components. I was about to order the raleigh but I'd hate to miss out on a better package. Anyone have an opinion?

Garry Fisher Piranha
    ===========================

Sizes XS (13") | SM (15.5") | MD (17.5") | LG (19") | XL (21") (Sizing)
    Main frame Gold Series 6061 T6 internally and externally butted aluminum | Genesis Geometry
    Fork Manitou Axel Elite w/TPC Lockout | 100mm travel
    Headset Aheadset semi-cartridge
    Crank Shimano M410 42/32/22
    Pedals Alloy platform
    Front derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Rear derailleur Shimano Deore
    Shifters Shimano Deore
    Cassette SRAM PG950 | 11-32 | 9 speed
    Front wheel Shimano M475 disc hubs | Bontrager Ranger Disc rims
    Rear wheel Shimano M475 disc hubs | Bontrager Ranger Disc rims
    Front Tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.25
    Rear tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.2
    Front brake Avid BB5 mechanical disc
    Rear brake Avid BB5 mechanical disc
    Handlebar Bontrager Crowbar Sport | 25mm rise
    Stem Bontrager Sport | 10d
    Saddle Bontrager Select
    Seatpost Bontrager Sport

Raleigh Mojave 8.0
    ==================================

Sizes M:14, 16, 18, 20, 22
    Frame Atomic 13 SL Custom Butted Aluminum, CNC Machined headtube, Extruded Seatstay Yoke
    Fork SR Suntour XCR 100mm w/Preload Adjust/Lock-out
    Crankset Truvativ Blaze Power Spline 22/32/44t
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ Power Spline
    F. Derailleur SRAM X-7
    R. Derailleur SRAM X-7
    Shift Lever SRAM SX-5 9spd
    Brake Levers Avid FR-5
    Brakes Avid BB5 disc, 6" rotors
    Cog Set SRAM PG-950 9spd (11-34t)
    Rims Weinmann WDR Disc 32h
    Tires Geax Mezcal 26x2.1
    Pedals Resin Platform
    Handlebar Mtn Tapered Alloy 25mm Riser
    Stem Alloy Ahead 4-bolt 10deg
    Seatpost Alloy Micro adjust 27.2mm
    Saddle WTB Speed V Sport
    Headset Ahead 1-1/8
    Colors Light Blue
    Chain SRAM PC-950
    Hubset (F) Alloy Joytech QR Disc 32h (R) Alloy Joytech QR Disc 32h Cassette
    Spokes 14g Stainless Steel
    Grips Raleigh
    Extras Rack & Fender mounts, Water bottle mounts, Cateye reflector set, Clear Coat, Owners Manual

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would get the piranha,the Raleigh has sram x-7 drive train parts,My freinds bike had those and neither he nor I where very impressed,plus I think the pirahna has a little better fork.The pirahna also got good reveiws in some of the bike rags if that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Pick the Raleigh!!!!!

Hi,
    I just bought the 2007 raleigh mojave 8.0 and its great. I was in the same position as you. I wanted a decent hardtail for around 600 bucks. After trying out all the bikes in that class, nothing came close to matching the components you get on the raleigh. The sram X7 drive train is amazing, much better than the deore I had on my old bike. Sram uses a 1:1 shift ratio which means smoother shifting, much better than shimano's 2:1. My roommate just bought a trek 4500 and he prefers the sram drivetrain on my bike to his deore. Also the fork on the raleigh is above and beyond the one on the fisher. It is surprisingly smooth and has on the fly adjustment and lockout, which I use when climbing and and hard surface riding. Now for the best part. The Raleigh weighs just under 30lbs I had the bike shop weigh it before I bought it. Ok so its not superlite but at this price range its a bargain, and keep in mind this is with disc brakes, they add quite a bit of weight. I also had the Piranha weighed....its came in at just over 33lbs. While that may not seem like alot now 15 miles into a trail ride and you will notice it, not to mention when climbing hills. I love my raleigh and got it for $530 in black. Go with the raleigh and you won't regret it!!!! I would like to know what you decide to go with. If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask.

Members who have read this thread: 1