Rainier vs Pistol- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rainier vs Pistol

Hey all first time posting. Have read through alot of the posts here on decideing on a new bike to buy. Mostly HT vs FS. I would love to have the high dollar FS but thats not in the cards. I ride alot of tight trails logging roads back and forth to work. I have never road a good HT or a high end FS now I am riding an old Proflex but its wearing out and is time replace it. It works fine for me but its not worth spending any more money on it the swingarm has already broke once on it. So my question is this, in the 1000$ range i have been looking at the Rainier HT, Pistol 1FS. From what I have been reading you don't get much of a FS bike for that price compared to the HT. How much better is the quality of the HT and how poor is the FS. Is there a good reliable FS for a 1000 bucks. Or for that price range is the HT the way to go any input would be appreciated Thanks.One more thing we also have a specialized and a brodie dealer near by.

Freshly Fujified

Hello munster

Welcome to the forums. You're pretty much dead on in your assessment with one exception. If you buy the bike online, either direct from the manufacturer or through a discount retailer, there are some very good deals on full suspension rigs, and you can get a very nice one for a grand. Take a look at the Ibex Asta Comp X.7 in this link:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-...7-Details.html

the bike has very nice specs and an excellent reputation. Check the Ibex forum here on mtbr.com for more information.

Another option would be to look at some of the discounted Iron Horse offerings from Randall Scott. You'll see a link to their web site on the right hand side of the page in this forum. Their specials =vary from week to week, but they offer some very good bikes at excellent prices.

Keep in mind that not everyone is comfortable buying a bike sight unseen, but if you do your research and make sure the frame size you order is correct for you, then there's no better bang for the buck. Buying from your LBS is also a very good option as you have the opportunity to take a test ride on the bike before purchase, and provided you go to a reputable shop, the after market service including things like free tune ups can be invaluable. If this is your option and you choose to go with one of the Giants, the Rainier would be my choice hands down. If you go to the Specialized dealer, look at the Rockhopper Comp Disc and Rockhopper Pro Disc.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Go for the Ranier if your going to buy locally. Its got dpretty good specs.

Former Bike Wrench
    You might find a good deal on an '06 FS bike at around $1000 at a local bike shop
    Here are some good ones to look for
    Specialized FSRxc
    Kona Kikapu Deluxe
    Kona Dawg
    Jamis Dakar Sport
    Jamis XLT
    Trek Fuel 80
    KHS XC204

Check around to see if anyone is clearing out 2006 stock!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I know for sure the Specialized FSRxc is about $900 at LBS closeout price..

If you fit into the 17 or 19 inch frame, this jamis is not bad either.
    http://www.bicycleblowout.com/Bikes/Jamisxlt10.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the info. I am going to buy local to support the local shops plus the free tune ups are a help. I'll probably choose one of the HT like suggested. I do have another question on my current bike it has a tendency to want to buck me off on a section with a short steep drop or another one is that the front end seems to want to colapse and send me over the bars which I have done few times such as a short drop or slow cross ditch .With that being said it that a characteristic of a cheap FS bike because I hate those slow inevitable crashes.I guess I should borrow a HT and try it for a few hours on the local trails.Now giant or specialized.

Members who have read this thread: 0