Raceable trail bike - Enduro vs LocoMoto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Raceable trail bike - Enduro vs LocoMoto

Looking for a 4-5" trail bike that can be raced a couple of times a year. Looking for something light enough to race and climb with, durable enough for aggressive use, versitle enough to handle northeast riding conditions (roots, rocks, technical climbs, tight singletrack, mud, etc.). Leading candidates are the Specialized Enduro and the Titus LocoMoto. The Loco looks like it would be a better race bike, but the Enduro looks more versitile. Just for good measure, I'm going to thow the Heckler into the discussion as well, simply because it's been my dream bike for quite a while. However for what I want out of this bike, I think the Heckler might be a bit too much of a freeride rig.

Thoughts?

Mar 2004
    The Enduro is not meant to be a race bike. It is the all-mountain bike in Spec's lineup. Their raceable bike is the Epic, Im not too sure if it is 5" though. I mean you could race the Enduro, but I know in large size, it is about 32.5 lbs. Pretty heavy for a race rig.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well for what it's worth I raced my Medium Enduro in a 24 race. It was great going down hill but I could certainly feel the weigth going up. If you can live with 4" of rear travel maybe you could look at the Stumpjumper FSR.

Mar 2004
    yes, I have heard of this bike...it is called the Unicorn, and it is made by god himself. I was in the same boat as you until I came to the understanding, no such bike exists. five inches of travel is too much weight to race.

it is a hard choice to make but you must go for cross country or free ride...good luck with your choice

ps- I have a unicorn for sale if you are interested.

May contain nuts

04 Hollowpoint Team RL would do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonpt
    Looking for a 4-5" trail bike that can be raced a couple of times a year. Looking for something light enough to race and climb with, durable enough for aggressive use, versitle enough to handle northeast riding conditions (roots, rocks, technical climbs, tight singletrack, mud, etc.). Leading candidates are the Specialized Enduro and the Titus LocoMoto. The Loco looks like it would be a better race bike, but the Enduro looks more versitile. Just for good measure, I'm going to thow the Heckler into the discussion as well, simply because it's been my dream bike for quite a while. However for what I want out of this bike, I think the Heckler might be a bit too much of a freeride rig.

Thoughts?
    I raced an 03 HP Expert this past season in sport class, won our regional series and got 2nd in a national round. As light as my friend's Scapel (with Lefty) and Epic. I could have run it with 3.75" of travel but as it pedals so well I just left it in the full 4.5" position all season. Nice to have all that travel coming down, it's the perfect one-bike-for-everything bike. The new 04 HP RL is right up your alley.

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonpt

Thoughts?
    I had the the same dilemma and I found my solution. I just got a 04 stumpy expert disk about a month ago. That is what I was looking for and after a bit of research I think the stumpy fits the bill. 4 Inches front and back with Propedal on the rear. My medium comes in at just under 27 pounds with eggs, a lighter stem and flat bar. Much more travel than my old fuel and I feel like I'm as fast if not faster. YMMV Vaughn
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

Demon Cleaner

Don't know about the Titus, but...

I like my Enduro. It's not a race bike, but it rides much more efficiently than I expected. Front and rear travel adjustments allow you to dial in the ride for different uses. Set it at 4x4 and the bike rides quick and efficient. Set it to 5x5 and its good for technical uphills and downs. The top tube is also faily long which stretches you out in a "traditional" XC position.

I'm not sure what bike others were scaling, but my 04 Enduro Expert is right about 29lbs. And it is mostly stock. There is a thread about this on the Specialized forum and it seems folks can get them down to the 25lb range without crazy light parts.

As long as you are just racing for fun, I'd think the Enduro would be a great choice. Of course, if you start getting serious you'll want something lighter with less travel. But then it won't make such a fun daily rider.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    I think the Loco would make a fine race bike if you spec'd it that way. The frame is very light and you can drop the suspension down to 4" if you want. I'd put a Float Propedal or a 5th air to get some spv going. You could easily get that bike into the low 20's. I had mine spec'd as a trailbike and it was about 26 lbs. w/a mix of tougher and lighter parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

My vote is for loco

It will be a firmer pedalling bike due to the higher pivot placement. "racy, snappy" acceleration vs the enduro. I have ridden an enduro in a parking lot (shock pump in hand) and its squats a lot like my X5 under heavy pedal strokes. The Loco is more like my old superlight and it's very quick accelerating, good for laying down the power to burst out of corners. You'll have a little bit more pedal kickback with the loco (more stall than actual kickback) than the FSR bikes.

Also consider the terrain you will be racing on. Rocky? FSR (or low pivot) bike will be better here due to the lack of pedal kickback. My X5 climbs like a champ in the granny but not so great in the middle ring for me. That would be *my* only consideration.

With that being said, I really think the new stumpjumper with the Triad shock has a lot of 'race' potential. The propedal damping is very heavy since you have the option of running it w/o propedal which should make it a very good climber (eliminate some of the squat).

Take what I said with a grain of salt, I think I am in the minority when I said the X5 squats a lot (I am accustomed to riding high pivot bikes). I am 6ft, 215-220lbs mostly legs so my body geometry is wacked. :-D

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I think the Loco would make a fine race bike if you spec'd it that way. The frame is very light and you can drop the suspension down to 4" if you want. I'd put a Float Propedal or a 5th air to get some spv going. You could easily get that bike into the low 20's. I had mine spec'd as a trailbike and it was about 26 lbs. w/a mix of tougher and lighter parts.

Trail Rider

Loco's pivot is lower than Superlight...

Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    It will be a firmer pedalling bike due to the higher pivot placement. "racy, snappy" acceleration vs the enduro. I have ridden an enduro in a parking lot (shock pump in hand) and its squats a lot like my X5 under heavy pedal strokes. The Loco is more like my old superlight and it's very quick accelerating, good for laying down the power to burst out of corners. You'll have a little bit more pedal kickback with the loco (more stall than actual kickback) than the FSR bikes.

Also consider the terrain you will be racing on. Rocky? FSR (or low pivot) bike will be better here due to the lack of pedal kickback. My X5 climbs like a champ in the granny but not so great in the middle ring for me. That would be *my* only consideration.

With that being said, I really think the new stumpjumper with the Triad shock has a lot of 'race' potential. The propedal damping is very heavy since you have the option of running it w/o propedal which should make it a very good climber (eliminate some of the squat).

Take what I said with a grain of salt, I think I am in the minority when I said the X5 squats a lot (I am accustomed to riding high pivot bikes). I am 6ft, 215-220lbs mostly legs so my body geometry is wacked. :-D

-Sp
    It is designed to be like Titus's Horst bikes(as close as possible). The problem is that they do bob in the big ring. I had a low rear pivot single and it was very active but did bob when mashing in the big ring. Good news is now they have SPV rear shocks which should help.