Questions on Marin Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Questions on Marin Bikes

I really like the look and price range of Marin Bikes, though I see very few in bike shops if any, with the exception of REI. There aren't many online reviews either. When I search online it seems that there are a few discount shops that have them drastically reduced, i.e., $499 for a 2010 Bobcat Trail and $699 for a 2010 Hawk Hill w/free shipping at 02 Gear Shop, or they are all in England. What is it with Marin bikes? Does anyone know why more shops don't carry them and why are they so price cut here online and so popular in England? Why are they available online? By the looks and components, I would think they would stand up to Trek, Specialized, Jamis, etc...the more popular and common bike brands. I would love to get the Hawk Hill (or the Bobcat) for those prices, but now I am wondering if they are worth it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapbike
    I really like the look and price range of Marin Bikes, though I see very few in bike shops if any, with the exception of REI. There aren't many online reviews either. When I search online it seems that there are a few discount shops that have them drastically reduced, i.e., $499 for a 2010 Bobcat Trail and $699 for a 2010 Hawk Hill w/free shipping at 02 Gear Shop, or they are all in England. What is it with Marin bikes? Does anyone know why more shops don't carry them and why are they so price cut here online and so popular in England? Why are they available online? By the looks and components, I would think they would stand up to Trek, Specialized, Jamis, etc...the more popular and common bike brands. I would love to get the Hawk Hill (or the Bobcat) for those prices, but now I am wondering if they are worth it?
    I too looked at Marin bikes and liked the weight but know nothing of them. The price I was quoted at the LBS was not nearly as good as the ones you posted though.

mtbr member
    they're kinda ugly so no one buys them. plus they dont market all that extensively.

its a good bike, if you like the way one rides dont hesitate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Marin is a smaller bike manufacturer, but they make pretty good bikes. I believe they build all of their frames themselves at their plant in Northern California. I've heard they're a very good company and have great customer service. They just don't market like Trek, Spec, ...

I almost bought a new Bobcat Trail last year, but I ended up building up a 06 Hawk Hill with mostly newer components. The frame has a nice weight and a good feel to it. I would say try to find a LBS or REI (or Sport Chalet) in your area that carries Marin and test ride them. If you like the fit and it rides good, go for it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The online deals mentioned are generally for leftover small sizes. Many dealers offer heavy discounts on those models to clear their inventory.

I think they look as nice as the next bike. I don't know of any company that makes their own frames for anything but very high-end bikes. Even Giant's frame company is operated separately from their bicycle division.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MaKn
    Marin is a smaller bike manufacturer, but they make pretty good bikes. I believe they build all of their frames themselves at their plant in Northern California. I've heard they're a very good company and have great customer service. They just don't market like Trek, Spec, ...

I almost bought a new Bobcat Trail last year, but I ended up building up a 06 Hawk Hill with mostly newer components. The frame has a nice weight and a good feel to it. I would say try to find a LBS or REI (or Sport Chalet) in your area that carries Marin and test ride them. If you like the fit and it rides good, go for it!
    This is what I've heard as well.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MaKn
    I believe they build all of their frames themselves at their plant in Northern California.
    Maybe 20 years ago they did, I think that you'll find that most if not all of their frames made in Taiwan & China now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    Maybe 20 years ago they did, I think that you'll find that most if not all of their frames made in Taiwan & China now.
    For sure, my Marin Mount Vision frame came in with "made in Taiwan" on the box. But who doesn't produce in the far east nowadays (exept the small brands ofcourse).

Members who have read this thread: 1