quality bikes for kids - ages 5 & 7?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

quality bikes for kids - ages 5 & 7?

I'm looking to get some decent bikes for my kids - boys, ages 5 & 7. The 5 yr. old is about 44" tall, the 7 (almost 8) year old is about 50" tall.

Here's the deal - my older son rides with me on lots of trails (including full race-course, mostly flat, XC courses), and really likes the sport. He's got a Norco fully rigid w/ 5x2 gearing, uses it well and rides quite well. Problem is, the bike is heavier than either my HT or FS! So when he's trying to get the bike over a log (dismounted), he has a heck of a time doing so.

The 5 yr. old just got onto the trails, but loves it. Riding behind him, he's got natural ability at picking lines, and is eager to learn (first time on the trails this past weekend, and he was picking beautiful lines - gotta be genetic!). He's riding a cheapo hand-me-down coaster brake, 16" wheel singlespeed w/ front caliper, again very heavy (training wheels off this past spring, a month before his birthday). He's actually ridden his older brother's bike once with the seat lowered and liked it (could shift the gears, etc., no problem riding freewheel, cranks were just too long). The 7 yr. old's bike is 20" wheels, by the way.

So, what is out there that is decent for kids like this? I just want to get something good quality, lighter, and more entry race-level style, but I have no idea which companies make frames for kids. I also don't know what sort of components are reasonable for these projects. I can easily build them up myself, and have a lot of adult-sized components (LX-XTR) laying around.

One more thing - I'm looking for the same in a road bike for my 7 (almost 8) yr. old, as he is getting into the kids triathlons. Anyone have experience there?

Thanks for any input. I know there are a lot of parents here that have experience, and I'm hoping to tap into that.

mtbr member

me too...

My 7 yo desperately needs a replacement for his 16" wheel BMXer. I've been surfing the net trying to decide if I should go with a 20 or 24" wheel bike.

I'm leaning toward the 24 (we're taking test-rides this weekend). I think he'll have to grow into it a bit, but if he can handle the bigger bike I'll probably go with that.

As far as brand, I like to spec and looks of the KONA. I've also read (MTBR reviews) about the IBEX bikes being pretty good. Several years ago, I bought my daughter a 24" Specialized Hotrock. She was never really a MTBer, but I was impressed w/the quality.

Haven't decided on the brand yet, but if nothing else stands out, I'll probably go w/the KONA HULA.

Search the forums for "kids". You'll find a few ideas there.

Cheers,
    John

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I spent quite a bit of time looking for a bike for my 5 year old. I had a Trek, Fisher, and Giant weighed at the LBS and all were about 27 lbs. All are 20inch wheels. I ended up getting him a Diamondback Octane 20 (minimal weight difference). They also make a 24.
    He has been riding trails on it since May and we are both very happy. The DB 20 was about $60 less than the other bikes and has 1x6 gearing. You want to go with the bigger wheel if you can. It will make it much easier to rollover rocks, branches and such and offer more gear choices.

ride hard take risks
    Your almost 8 year old should be able to fit a 13 or 13.5 inch frame pretty well. What LBS's do you have This was my son at 12 but as you can see he is small for his age. He raced DH on this bike & still has it today at 18.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dogonfr; 09-09-2006 at 09:52 PM.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

There's no app for this.

Kona makes a whole line for kids

at reasonable prices (all w/24" wheels); you may be able to pass them on down to the younger one. ....No road bike but they do offer a cyclocross in Jake the Snake format called the Jake 2-4.
    Here
    I believe Specialized and Trek also offer kids' lines, but they can be a bit harder to find in Canada; I'm not sure the Cdn.distributors bring the into the country.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If I was in CA i'd get a Spawn Cycles Banshee, the postage to UK is what put me off the idea..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This thread is 7 years old! The OP's kids are now teenagers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

title? I'm replying to a thread.. what the?

I had to laugh.. I just went through the hassle of registering to reply to this thread and then realised that the original post was a few years old.. haha.. Regardless, I'll post what I was going to say just in case others may be looking for info for their kids

Anyway, as always with questions like the original poster posted, YOUR budget or spend limit is always important. No point in suggesting bikes if you only want to spend $100..

I bought my daughter the Specialized Hotrock 20".. Great bike, pretty good components and well built.
    My mate bought his son the Scott Spark (fs) and then he had a new link made to accommodate a fox air shock to replace the useless rear spring set up..

If money is not an issue then check this site out (sorry can't put a link because of some stupid 10 post rule??) anyway go here to check out awesome kids bikes.. lilshredder (dot) com.
    Awesome duel suspension bikes made for little shredders. Pretty sure the little Jackson kid rides one.

Anyway, yes I know the thread was old.. well I do now.. so no need to remind me.. Just thought there might still be others looking for info..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

English please

Quote Originally Posted by GeawlGurbrolo View Post
    Вот еще и fotograph com ua/web/dezsite html]искусство фотографии Ялта
    English?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seriously, for the younger kids just get a cheap bike that they like and think is cool for whatever reason. They will outgrow it in a year or less most likely. Craigslist is great, as are the disposable Wally World bikes (it is more important to have them excited about riding than having a good bike with good components, because they do NOT comprehend the difference). The older they get, transition to better frames and better components.

Fred

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Seriously, for the younger kids just get a cheap bike that they like and think is cool for whatever reason.
    I respectfully disagree. My daughters complain about sore hands from pulling the brake levers when going down the hills. Kids do not have much strength in their hand muscles. A small bike with quality hydraulic disk brakes would take care of this issue, which seriously limits the fun of biking. Regrettably, I haven't been able to find small kids' bikes with this kind of components. They would be sorely (literally sorely) needed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    I respectfully disagree. My daughters complain about sore hands from pulling the brake levers when going down the hills. Kids do not have much strength in their hand muscles. A small bike with quality hydraulic disk brakes would take care of this issue, which seriously limits the fun of biking. Regrettably, I haven't been able to find small kids' bikes with this kind of components. They would be sorely (literally sorely) needed!
    Disc brakes are dangerous for kids. The owner of a LBS near me said that he's heard of kids putting fingers in the rotors with deadly consequences. He won't carry a kids bike with disc brakes for that reason.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Seriously, for the younger kids just get a cheap bike that they like and think is cool for whatever reason. They will outgrow it in a year or less most likely. Craigslist is great, as are the disposable Wally World bikes (it is more important to have them excited about riding than having a good bike with good components, because they do NOT comprehend the difference). The older they get, transition to better frames and better components.

Fred
    I also disagree. There are lots of kids out there that reallly rip. Spend a little time at a BMX track sometime and you'll get used to seeing 7 year olds that are better riders than you are. My kid would wreck both himself and the bike in short order if I stuck him on some Walmart junker. I'm sure they're fine for puttering around the driveway / rail-trail, but there are a lot of kids out there that really ride, and they need good bikes. Hell, my kid gets more air than most adult XC racers, he needs a bike that can handle it.

Oh, and he's been running disc brakes on his mtb since he was 6. Still got all his fingers, and they absolutely pay off for DHing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Disc brakes are dangerous for kids. The owner of a LBS near me said that he's heard of kids putting fingers in the rotors with deadly consequences. He won't carry a kids bike with disc brakes for that reason.
    With all due respect, I cannot help suspecting that this is one of those "internet facts" which may not withstand serious scrutiny. It may not mean much, but in my 27 years of activity as a medical doctor I have never encountered a disc-brake-damaged finger, and much less a fatality. I saw, alas, a lot of awful and heartwrenching bike fatalities - but none that would be specifically due to disc versus V brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My theory is different than many. Instead of riding "whatever" bike or one they "will grow into", I have my kids riding the smallest lightest bike I can find and waiting until they are way too big for it to get another one.

My 4 year old rides a 16" Redline Pitboss that weighs 14 lbs. It's 10 lbs lighter than most kids bikes and proportionally to his weight is still like your average grown up riding a 60lb bike.

Light, small single speed BMX bikes with good brakes are the way to go until they get some size and skill to justify the bigger heavier multi gear trails bikes we all so want our kids to join us out on the trails with.

From Russia with luv!
    We did this last year. 20" wheels.
    10 gears.
    15.4 lbs with a BMX saddle

TritonBikes.com

Titanium frames and components handbuilt in Russia

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Titanium kids bike? Nice!

From Russia with luv!

quality bikes for kids - ages 5 & 7?

Quote Originally Posted by GasX View Post