mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New question here. Prophet vs. Stumpjumper vs. Enduro?!?!

Hi! I've been a long time reader, now 1st time poster hehe. Anyways, I'm currently riding an entry level full suspension (K2) and feel it's time for an upgrade. I've ridden a bunch of bikes within the last couple of days from all major brands including Specialized, Trek, Devinci, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Jamis, Norco, Kona and Santa Cruz. Anyways, I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Cannondale Prophet 600 or 800 (same frame, slightly better fork and components)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp
    Specialized Enduro Comp

I ride mostly XC with the occasional small drop thrown in. I'm a lightweight at 5' 6" 150lbs and will need a small frame. I've ridden all 3 and to be honest, they all feel the same to me. That's why I'd like some opinions! Thanks!

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I lean toward the prophet for its durability but the Specialized is more efficient in terms of XC pedaling without bob. I would go for the Prophet though. Ultimately you should make the final choice by trying a longer test ride on each bike. Just check out the Cannondale forum to find out all the nice stuff about the Prophet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stepchow
    Hi! I've been a long time reader, now 1st time poster hehe. Anyways, I'm currently riding an entry level full suspension (K2) and feel it's time for an upgrade. I've ridden a bunch of bikes within the last couple of days from all major brands including Specialized, Trek, Devinci, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Jamis, Norco, Kona and Santa Cruz. Anyways, I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Cannondale Prophet 600 or 800 (same frame, slightly better fork and components)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp
    Specialized Enduro Comp

I ride mostly XC with the occasional small drop thrown in. I'm a lightweight at 5' 6" 150lbs and will need a small frame. I've ridden all 3 and to be honest, they all feel the same to me. That's why I'd like some opinions! Thanks!
    I vote for the Stumpy. For more xc purposes, the stumpy gets my vote over the Enduro. The Enduro might be too much of a trail bike than a xc bike. I have ridden the SJ and it seems like a pretty good bike and it has pretty good components.

No experience with the Prophet, but it seems like a lot of people like them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

trail?

Ummmm......what's the difference between trail and XC? I mostly ride singletrack, so I thought that was XC. I'm pretty aggressive though and like to bomb thru the rocky sections and take some jumps. I don't think I'll be doing drops more than 3 feet or so though.

mtbr member
    You cannot go wrong with the Stumpjumper, I think its a no brainer. If you are bottoming out the suspension on your current ride you might want to look for something with 5 inch travel like the Stumpjumper 120. Since you are fairly small and light I dont think there is any need for a big bike. The big bikes are sold to old guys who like cushy rides, big people, and people who ride really rugged epic type rides and I dont think you fit in those categories-stay away from the Enduros and similar big bikes-think light and fast.

mtbr member

Decisions, Decisions

Having not rode all three I can't offer anymore than my thoughts on the prophet800. I use it for similar uses and ride a medium. I have raced and the bike did fine. I have not noticed any pedal bob and the bike handles drops fine. Good luck w/ your decision.

mtbr member
    I've rode a stumpy for several years and have spent some time on an Enduro. Based on the description of your riding style bombing through rock gardens and some small drops I would go with the Enduro or the Prophet.

The difference between trail and xc depends on who you ask. I'll take a stab though. XC usually refers to less technical (but by no means easy) trails that can have both climbs and descents. Most twisty single track can fall in this category. Trail is basically a rougher version of XC. It might have few bigger drops or include rougher terrain like bigger rock gardens and such. There is a lot of over lap though and what one person considers a tough trail suitable for a burly trail bike some one else might consider an easy cross country trail. A trail bike usualy refers to a bike with a little bit more travel than a XC bike (most trail bikes have between 4-6 inches of travel) and is build a little bit tougher and often heavier.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of cross country racing, don't worry too much about a xc vs trail bike. All the bikes you listed fall right in the middle of the spectrum with the Stumpy being closer XC side and the enduro closer to the trail side. The prophet would fit in the middle.

Personally I prefer a little extra travel and would opt for the Enduro (I believe you are talking about the 5" travel version and not the 6") or the Prophet. The toss up is the bike might weigh a pound or two more than the Stumpy. (I've gone from a 24lb xc bike to a 33lb trail bike and can honestly say I like the heavier bike...it just feels more stable to me).

Go with which one fits the best and just feels right. Both bikes will pedal well, assuming the prophet has a decent shock like a Fox RP3, Swinger, or 5th element air.

LBS Manager

Stumpy

It has the best suspension ever designed and at your size has more than enough travel for the type of riding you describe. 2nd choice Enduro but I think you will find it to heavy for xc.