Proflex 854, Good bike or stay away?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Proflex 854, Good bike or stay away?

Hello everyone, I am new to mtb and I was offered a Proflex 854 on a trade deal. I am not very knowlegable when it somes to bikes so any information would help. So basically is this a good bike for trails or should I stay away and look for something else? Thanks for your help!

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    Wow, I think that is an oldie for sure. Someone please correct me but wasn't proflex bought by K2? Anyway's, I have not seen a Proflex on a trail around here in 12 years. That is most likely a bike from the late 80's or early 90's. It probably has an elastomer Girvin Vector fork and is most definitely dated. I would not trade anything for it unless your trading your old Comadore 64 or Atari for it.

mtbr member
    May 2010

So what your saying is to old to ride?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry for such a gigantic picture lol... dont know how to resize it... Please delte if a problem

rollin
    Oct 2009
    K2 actually bought ProFlex in 1993... It is an older model, doesnt mean you cant start out on it. I wouldnt trade/pay much for it though since it is most likely 15-20 years old and frames tend to wear out...

Cheers,
    Chris

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here goes a better picture of it. Its really that old?

Former Bike Wrench
    1994...16 years old

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...=854&Type=bike

Looks like its in very good condition, but getting some parts for the fork (bushings) may be tough. You can get new elastomers from here so that covers your suspension a bit. It just depends on how much your trade is valued at...probably wouldn't exceed $150 or so.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Was looking to trade a HD lcd Projector for a bike but that make sense about parts and things like that for a bike of that age.

mtbr member
    The only Pro Flex I have ever seen was last year and had the rear elastomer melted. Yes, melted. I think the guy said he left it in his car/van on a really hot day. He came into the LBS expecting them to have a replacement on the shelf...

mtbr member
    I had an 856, which was a two year newer ('96) and much improved version of that bike. However, when I saw it a few years ago (my brother had it for a long while), the elastomers were absolutely rock hard. So figure new elastomer bumpers into your calculations, if you can find any that is.

I agree, it's not worth much. Full suspension bikes don't age well.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

fuggansonofahowa
    Wow, good (and bad) memories of my first FS bike.

"full suspension" was shunned back then on the trails. The elastomers were good until it got warm or cold outside....huge variations. Mid winter is was a hardtail, and mid summer it was a hardtail with a downhill friendly angle. Super low maintenance though. Elastomers would harden after a few years....you could breath extra life into them by boiling them like eggs.

Looks like the Vector fork elastomers are in sad condition. The rears look okay and are most likely aftermarket - probably from Rapid Descent out of Scotland (no longer made). There's were black and Proflex stock were yellow.

That's a piece of MTB history. I'd say Proflex was a pioneer who helped to bring full suspension to the mainstream. The "dig in" technology, light weight design and relatively low cost was ahead of it's time. The 855 ('95 version) was the break out model for Proflex. There was a cult-like following of 855 owners.

The bike looks like it's in great condition considering the age. Besides the rear elastomers, bar ends and (maybe) seat, everything looks original. For some old-fogie reason, I still like the look of the Vector (1 & 2) forks.

20 years from now, that thing may be worth a small fortune in that condition. Right now, it isn't worth much. I wouldn't do any serious mountain biking with it. Street and light trails only. The bushings on the swingarms would be impossible to find and they do wear out. I would buy it at 150 bucks for a memory keepsake, but not to ride offroad.

On wuss patrol
    Looks like the fork is on backwards

Decent piece of bike history and perhaps some wall art if you're into that kind of thing as art.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    I had an 856 an found actual mini oil shocks that replaced the elastomers. Can't remember now where i got them. But that bike is dated, newer bikes are tons better nowadays...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go to this website to find a bunch of proflex riders, tech help and you might even find an elastomer or two. Rapid Descent recently stopped making replacements.

http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/index.php
    (go to the tech forum to ask questions)

Proflex was purchased by K2 in 1997 or 1998. 1998 models had both K2 and Proflex labels.

urmb

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi URMB,

I am looking for a good conditon 20'' proflex 854. If you are interested in selling yours please shoot me a pm or email. If in good shape I will pay top dollar...thanks

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 2