PLEASE HELP- Cannondale Brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! PLEASE HELP- Cannondale Brakes

Hey everyone, I got myself into a mess and Im praying someone can help me.
    A week ago I bought a 1984 Cannondale SM500
    ( http://www.mombat.org/1984_Cannondale.htm ) for $30 at Goodwill. Its in bad shape but I figured Its well worth it to fix it up. I have everything done expect for the brakes. I do not know how to fix these. This is what I know and have already done. I was able to take apart brakes and clean the spring so it work again. But I cannot put it back together. The website above has all the info on bike and brakes.. Thanks so much

Adam

AZ
    banned
    Whats the problem ? Front or rear ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can't get the cantis to work?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yea, I think we need more information. What is the problem? Wow, that has got to be one of the first year Cannondale's eh?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was having a problem with the back brake. However the person who owned the bike before me switched the front brake to the back so its Actually the front brake that wont work.

the way the brake works is there are 2 springs, one on each side of frame. They are inside of brake were bolts attach to frame. The springs have to be turned counter clock ways so that once the brake is being pulled to stop, it retracts the brake making it a functional brake. The problem I'm having is, Once I turn the spring Counter Clock ways I can't seem to make it stay in place. Once I let go it goes back, and so therefor the brake has no force to make it retract once its been pulled to stop.

The bike tech at the store is not even sure how to make it stay.

But I was able to buy a new brake that works for my frame, so I just installed it today and it works Great!

Yah this bike is the first Cannondale ever made. Its considered a Vintage and brand new its worth $500 bucks. Im excited to have i. I just got done sanding it down, put on some high quality primer, and a very nice shiny Blue paint, the put on some new decals. I love it.

I now have it riding amazing, it climbs hills like a champ, and it has great speed on it.

I Def lucked out..,

But anyhow thanks so much for replying to my post, Its great to see people trying to help. Maybe one day I can return the same favor..

Thanks Adam

AZ
    banned
    Cool , enjoy .

Members who have read this thread: 0