Pay money up front or down the road???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Pay money up front or down the road???

Hello everyone, relatively new to the sport but i've narrowed down my search to 2 bikes: Specialized Hardrock and the Rockhopper, here's the situation tho, i can buy the Rockhopper but keep it stock for a while or I can buy a Hardrock and put alil money into it. My question is should I put money up front or hang onto it? Is the difference that big between the 2 bikes to put that money up front? I'm 25 5'10'' 150lbs athletic build, looking to ride city streets and trails(nothing crazy, no jumps or big drops), let me know what you think and only about these 2 bikes please and thank you

mtbr member
    Put the money in up front. Always.

Put Specialized's huge buying power to work. It's way cheaper to buy a better bike and ride it than upgrade parts at retail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I agree. I had the same problem. I think it's better to pay more up front. Get the better bike ride it for awhile and then when you can start upgrading it. Just my opinion. In the end you will either have an upgraded HArdrock or an upgraded Rockhopper.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the input I'm leaning towards that direction even tho the Rockhopper is at the max of my budget, i'm looking at both the base models of Hardrock and Rockhopper, I've been going to the LBS to see if i can locate an 06' Rockhopper

mtbr member
    buy the best complete bike you can afford........upgrade takes money and effort....
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

Members who have read this thread: 0