Is parting out a good idea?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Is parting out a good idea?

Hi, I purchased a Sette Serum Pro XT bike from PricePoint. It does not fit the person who I bought it for and I am 9 days out of the 15 trial period. I have talked to PricePoint and they will not budge on the 15 day period. So, now I am stuck with an expensive (for me) bike sitting in my garage. With the full XT group, Avid Elixir CR brakes, Fox Fork, Carbon Frame...do you think it would be more profitable to part out or try and sell it outright? There is a used one on ebay right now and the owner told me the highest offer he has received so far is $950. I was hoping I could get $1200 or so from parting it out. Do you think this is realistic.?All the parts are pretty much brand new, except for taking it down the street once or twice. The specs can be seen here:

Thanks for any info or advice!

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/211...ntain-Bike.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think you'll get more parting it out. The two things with that is 1) You have to have the tools and the knowhow to take it apart and 2) You have to be willing to wait longer, as part out processes typically take longer to sell everything.
    Instead of rims, put sundials on your wheels and run for the hills...

P.O.S. Living Slightly Larger

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thank you! Do you think that I could see $1200 from the part out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jtack View Post
    Thank you! Do you think that I could see $1200 from the part out?
    I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I did a couple quick checks on eBay for what almost new (take-offs) parts would cost. These are pretty conservative estimates (albeit rough) for the most part-you can probably expect at least this much:

Shifters: 60$
    Front derailleur: 20$
    Rear deraillerur: 60$
    Brakes (with rotors): 200$
    Crank/BB: 140$
    Chain/Cassette (sell together, IMO): 50$
    Saddle: 75$
    Wheels (both): 250$
    Tires (both): 40$

That's about 900$ right there. Then you still have the frame, fork, seatpost, bars, stem, grips...I think the fork is an OEM-specific model, as I can't find any aftermarket ones for sale by that name (Fox Racing Fork 32 F100 R Open Bath). It will go for less than an aftermarket fork would, but still a substantial amount. The seatpost, bars, and stem, won't go for that much...but they will add a few bucks. The frame...I have no idea. I think someone would pay a couple hundred for it maybe...that's a total shot in the dark.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thank you very much for your time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    you proly wouldnt get back what you paid for if you part it out, your proly better of selling it as a whole & just take the loss.. parting it out will just take forever and people would rather get brand new parts if your looking to sell it close to a new price..either way its a loss...sorry!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, I know I am going to take a large hit. With taxes and shipping I paid a little over $2100 including the Crank Brothers Candy X pedals, Easton EA90 stem and kenda klimax tires. If I could part out or sell it and get back $1300 or so I wouldn't feel so bad...better than having $2100 sitting in the garage collecting dust.

T.W.O.
    Yeah, I know I am going to take a large hit. With taxes and shipping I paid a little over $2100 including the Crank Brothers Candy X pedals, Easton EA90 stem and kenda klimax tires. If I could part out or sell it and get back $1300 or so I wouldn't feel so bad...better than having $2100 sitting in the garage collecting dust.
    So much for the $3500 Msrp eh?

Does the bike fit you, do you have another bike, do you have the tool to take it apart?

Parting out would bring you more total higher but it takes time to off load unless you are pricing your components lower and be creative with package deal you may be struck with some parts that are not sold, and the longer you wait the more it depreciate regardless of how little used they have.

Write out your options and weight their pros and cons

A: Selling the whole bike with original spec or as is for $1300-1500

Pros: get the whole thing out of your way at the one time.
    Cons: well, if you ship the bike then you'd need to pack it, and even if you priced at $1200 tagging on $150 shipping can break the deal.

B: Parting out every parts
    Pros: You'd have wider potential customer pool. People are less likely to b!tch about $5-10 shipping. You'd end up with higher total amount but it would take longer to sell all of the components. The longer you wait the value would drop as Shimano 780 series al ready hit the market at about the same price as 770 series. Not to mention all of the parts has to be disassemble and clean.

C: Keep the bike if it fit you. Discover the joy of riding a Carbon hardtail

That bike is not going to become a classic/collector item anytime soon and the holiday season is approaching so make your decision quick. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    if you sell it as is, im pretty sure you can get $1300 or even more for it! itll save you time

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Could you sell just the frame and get one that fits? That may put you out only a couple hundred bucks vs. the 800 you are looking at now... Then you would still have a nice build waiting for the new frame.

Just an idea.

Good luck!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamethellama View Post
    I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I did a couple quick checks on eBay for what almost new (take-offs) parts would cost. These are pretty conservative estimates (albeit rough) for the most part-you can probably expect at least this much:

Shifters: 60$
    Front derailleur: 20$
    Rear deraillerur: 60$
    Brakes (with rotors): 200$
    Crank/BB: 140$
    Chain/Cassette (sell together, IMO): 50$
    Saddle: 75$
    Wheels (both): 250$
    Tires (both): 40$

That's about 900$ right there. Then you still have the frame, fork, seatpost, bars, stem, grips...I think the fork is an OEM-specific model, as I can't find any aftermarket ones for sale by that name (Fox Racing Fork 32 F100 R Open Bath). It will go for less than an aftermarket fork would, but still a substantial amount. The seatpost, bars, and stem, won't go for that much...but they will add a few bucks. The frame...I have no idea. I think someone would pay a couple hundred for it maybe...that's a total shot in the dark.
    That's not the real cost though. I've been doing it for over 10 years. There's listing fees, selling fees, paypal fees and shipping material. You need boxes and tape. Most parts will have to be listed at least twice or more. Each time incurring a fee. A good rough estimate is take 20% off the sale price by the time you've paid all your fees. It might a little on the high side but not much.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Could you sell just the frame and get one that fits? That may put you out only a couple hundred bucks vs. the 800 you are looking at now... Then you would still have a nice build waiting for the new frame.

Just an idea.

Good luck!
    This seems the best option sell a frame buy a frame, its the cheapest way to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    That's not the real cost though. I've been doing it for over 10 years. There's listing fees, selling fees, paypal fees and shipping material. You need boxes and tape. Most parts will have to be listed at least twice or more. Each time incurring a fee. A good rough estimate is take 20% off the sale price by the time you've paid all your fees. It might a little on the high side but not much.
    I know, eBay has become much more expensive.

I didn't mean to suggest that eBay was the only way to go, or even the preferred way. If he can sell everything on the MTBR forums, he'll get quite a bit more. Also, all those prices that I listed were pretty much found from the lowest price paid on eBay (that I found), minus a bit.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamethellama View Post
    I know, eBay has become much more expensive.

I didn't mean to suggest that eBay was the only way to go, or even the preferred way. If he can sell everything on the MTBR forums, he'll get quite a bit more. Also, all those prices that I listed were pretty much found from the lowest price paid on eBay (that I found), minus a bit.
    When I started out ebay more reasonable. You're right they have gotten crazy on fees. But the exposure you get is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I agree, selling the frame is a good idea. but, you'll have to deal with sizing incompatibilities.

seatpost size
    headseat design
    front derailleur type

when ever I part out a bike, I always turn to local classifieds first. craigslist, kijiji, pinkbike etc all free and local people are always willing to pay more.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timms View Post
    I agree, selling the frame is a good idea. but, you'll have to deal with sizing incompatibilities.

seatpost size
    headseat design
    front derailleur type

when ever I part out a bike, I always turn to local classifieds first. craigslist, kijiji, pinkbike etc all free and local people are always willing to pay more.
    The nice part about CL is you can see the bike in person, unlike ebay. The bad thing is all the kooks that now know where you live.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbchybridrider View Post
    This seems the best option sell a frame buy a frame, its the cheapest way to go.
    This is my opinion as well. You have some excellent components there and it would be a shame to not be able to ride a bike with them.

Nashbar has a nice Fuji carbon frame for $499Fuji SLM Carbon Mountain Bike Frame - Mountain Bike Frames

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    When I started out ebay more reasonable. You're right they have gotten crazy on fees. But the exposure you get is pretty good.
    I refuse to use eBay and PayPal unless I absolutely have to.

I had a 1994 Proflex 954 frame with a Girvin fork in excellent condition. The auction only got to $60 and the shipping was $65 for a total of $125. eBay has their charges as well as a charge on the shipping, then PayPal had their charges and exchange rate.

The total fees and charges were almost 17%. I refuse to pay that so I got hold of the buyer of the frame and told them I had to cancel the sale. I sold the frame and fork locally on CL for $100, no shipping, no fees.

Plus, they started to hold my funds. I only have about 25 sales since 2007 when I signed up with eBay and they hold my funds after a sale for 21 days.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bummer.... I have to wonder about moves like this by Price Point. Will they let you exchange it for the proper size???
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thank you everyone for your advice! It looks like taking things up the chain of command has worked. Price Point has agreed to let me ship the bike back to them. They said if the bike is in MINT condition then they will give a total refund. Not really quite sure what they consider mind condition considering they fully disclose on their website the ability to unpack the box, build the bike, and ride the bike for 15 days, and if you are not totally satisfied, then you can return the bike with all original parts and box for a full refund. I am not worried about my bike because it was hardly ridden, but for others, a lot could happen to a bike in 15 days of use. So, I packed up the bike and sent if off to Price Point yesterday. They will receive it today and hopefully let me know that it arrived and they are satisfied with the condition. Not sure what they would do if they were not satisfied with the condition...ship it back to me? I think at that point I would let my credit card company handle the situation. Thank you all again for your help.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thank you everyone for your advice! It looks like taking things up the chain of command has worked. Price Point has agreed to let me ship the bike back to them. They said if the bike is in MINT condition then they will give a total refund. Not really quite sure what they consider mind condition considering they fully disclose on their website the ability to unpack the box, build the bike, and ride the bike for 15 days, and if you are not totally satisfied, then you can return the bike with all original parts and box for a full refund. I am not worried about my bike because it was hardly ridden, but for others, a lot could happen to a bike in 15 days of use. So, I packed up the bike and sent if off to Price Point yesterday. They will receive it today and hopefully let me know that it arrived and they are satisfied with the condition. Not sure what they would do if they were not satisfied with the condition...ship it back to me? I think at that point I would let my credit card company handle the situation. Thank you all again for your help.

Your credit card company can't do anything. YOU failed to notify them in a timely fashion and within the time period agreed to when you purchased.

At this point if I were you I'd be dishing out big props to Price Point for pulling your a$$ out of the ringer by offering you a refund and making an exception to their policy.

Personally I think letting you exchange it would have been great service, a REFUND is over the top.

Be nice and show some gratitude.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 11-18-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thank you for the lesson in manners. I don't remember saying anything that would elude to me not being nice to them or not being grateful. Part of the story which I did not share was the fact that #1 the bike came with parts different that what was shown on their site, and #2 had extreme quality control issues associated with the carbon finish. These 2 things coupled with the fact that the geometry was not what was desired was the reason for the return. You are correct however on the fact that it was my fault that I did not act sooner and I told them I took responsibility for that from the beginning.