mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Opinion on frame damage

I have a Klein Adept Race that I got back around 2002 or so. It's the last model year before they switched to the Palomino. When I bought it, I had zero mountain biking experience, and the bike proved to be a little more bike than I could handle for the terrain around me, and consequently I haven't really ridden it all that much since I've owned it.

On one of my less then successful rides (I still have the chainring scars on my calf from it), I smacked the downtube against a rock resulting the the damage in the photos. It doesn't lookt like much in the pictures, but the dent is a good mm or 2 deep, and what worries me most is it's more of a crease, than a gentle dent. I know Klein used really thin tubing on these bikes, especially in the middle of the tubes, so I'm wondering how worried I should be about this damage.

Should I be worried at all about this area? Is it repairable? I'd hate to ruin the Klein paint job, but I supposed I could have it retouched.
    Opinion on frame damage-klein1.jpg
    Opinion on frame damage-klein2.jpg
    Opinion on frame damage-klein3.jpg

It's about showing up.

Data, data, data; I cannot make bricks without clay

What do you weigh? What sort of riding do you do? How long have you been riding?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm 150 lbs +/- (more on the - side). I've been riding primarily road for the past 8 years, and only dabbled in mountain biking. I'd say since I've owned the bike, I've only ridden it (on trails) a handful of times. I tend to like cross country with fast flowing single track. I shy away from the super technical/big hit/downhill stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wouldn't worry about it. Go ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just keep an eye on it. Most likely it will be fine. I've done worse to aluminum frames and they kept going. I've also had aluminum frames crack with no prior damage, so you never know. That doesn't look too bad though, so just inspect it regularly.

T.W.O.
    For your style of riding it should be fine. I've seen a few dimples on a klein attitude and it's still ok.

It's about showing up.

Not to worry

I doubt you can stress frame to the danger point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You should be fine, but keep an eye on the area around the dent. If you see anything like this, stop riding and retire the frame. It might happen, it might not happen, it might be next week or 5 years from now. Do a quick check before each ride and as long as there aren't any cracks or dark lines in the paint you'll be fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0