Noob-- Looking at an 07 Cannondale F4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Noob-- Looking at an 07 Cannondale F4

I haven't ridden in years. I have an old Giant Iguana that I'm replacing. I went to a bike shop and really liked the 07 cannondale F4. Does anyone have any insight or comments on this bike? Id be getting the XL frame, since Im a big guy, 6'2" 230lbs. I will be mainly using it on trails and some streets around the neighborhood.

Any input appreciated.

LA CHÈVRE
    Great frame and fork, okay parts. You get a frame that is light, it's stiff where it needs to be but forgiving where it's okay so you get a fast, precise, racy frame that still doesn't kill your back.

If you never tried a Headshok, those forks are laterally, torsionally and longitudinally stiffer than anything this side of freeride. This thing steers with so much precision, you can crush ants with the knob you choose on your front tire. Be aware though, it's very hard to go back to a standard fork, something else than another Headshok or a Lefty after you tasted it, the rest just feels too flexy and steers like Jell-O. It's not the plushest thing but it's again very racy feeling.

The frame and fork combo are basically the heart of the bike, worth keeping and change the parts as you progress, as they wear out... I would highly recommend the F4.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    How does the F4 compare to the Rockhoppers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    How does the F4 compare to the Rockhoppers?
    We got my girlfriend an F4 and she loves it. I wanted her to look at the Rockhopper Comp, but no one had them in stock. I on the other hand have a Rockhopper Pro Disc which I also love. I'd say they are pretty comparable, so just ride them both and pick the one you like the best...

Though I must admit I was iffy about cannondale with their proprietary parts, but after checking out the fork in comparison to the lower Rockhopper models, it was much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agree with Dan G, I own an 2005 F400...the headshock works well...keep it aired up and all is right. I started at around 218 and I my experience is the frame is just fine. Parts can be iffy and proprietary can be a bit of PIA, but the sram x-7 (on mine) works fine and the wheels have held up very well. I would be prepared to sh*tcan saddle if you dont like it, but otherwise replace parts as they wear.

I think you will like the bike, especially if you are getting back into sport and want a comfortable, reliable bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Boyfriend recommended the '07 F4 as a replacement to my start-up bike, an '07 Specialized Hardrock. I'm glad I made the switch. It has a light frame, great fork, sleek design - definitely more bang for the buck!

Needless to say, I am loving it

Members who have read this thread: 0