Noob here. Looking for advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

... and if we just ... Noob here. Looking for advice

Hello.
    I am looking for some advice on what bike to purchase in the next few weeks. I am 26 years old and am 6"1 280lbs. I am not a huge ball of fat, yet i am out of shape. I am looking to start riding to get myself down to a respectible weight and to feel better. It has been a few years since i have been into biking and i have no clue what to buy. I would like to spend between $600-$1000 CAD on this bike. It will mostly be used on local small trails.

Any advice is apreciated

banned
    Feb 2007
    Here's my 2 cents.

I wouldn't recommend getting a full suspension bike unless you're planning on spending close to $1000 USD. The lower end suspension bikes are usually very heavy and come with lower end components. In that price range a hardtail bike would be a much better value.

I tell my friends who are not sure how much and how long they plan on riding to spend as little as they can to start out. I would recommend a Forge Bike.

$299 with the components that come on it, it's hard to beat.
    The frame is made by Giant Bikes.
    http://www.forgebikes.com/

If you think you're going to be dedicated and bike alot I would suggest increasing your budget and take a look at a nice full suspension bike (those mentioned in the $1000 and under FS bike thread).
    Last edited by jimmyK; 03-07-2007 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thank you for the advice. The reason i was willing to spend so much is because i am so heavy right now. I am just scared that i will break a low quality bike. I looked at that link and that bike is a nice looking bike. Do you think i should be worried about it not being able to support my weight?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    "Do you think i should be worried about it not being able to support my weight?"

Not really. The biggest problem you'll have at your weight is the fork springs. Either make sure you can get a firm spring set or look for a bike with an air spring. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

Is dang happy!
    Post Here

The big boys will help you out, dito on the firm spring, beefey all-mtn wheels would be a good idea also.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    Post Here

The big boys will help you out, dito on the firm spring, beefey all-mtn wheels would be a good idea also.
    I didn't even see that section!

Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0