Next Parowan- Mtbr.com

Thread: Next Parowan

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Next Parowan

hey guys, i started a thread a few days ago to try to restore. it has been pointed out to me by several people that my frame isn't safe. so im going to save some money but i still will not have much money at all. so my question is, is the Next Parowan, is it any good. i know its just a cheap walmart bike but just for getting around town and for going off road a little not for rock climbing or anything, how well would this bike actually be. i just dont want to spend money and it be a junk bike right off the bat

Titanium junkie
    I would like to think that in this day and age, nobody want's to insult or
    embarrass you. That being said I don't think that would be a wise investment
    of any money unless it's for a young child to ride to school or an adult for
    bike paths. As much as you seem to want to get out there and ride, this bike
    would be a poor choice for what you want to do. If all you want to do is have a
    bike to ride around town or the bike paths, then I think it would be fine.
    If you take it on trails, you will probably be walking it and yourself home, or
    worse, you could get hurt. Good luck and take care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    around where i am there are only a few paths and no real mountain trails
    haha
    so you think it would be fine just to ride around and do some paths. im too big of a guy and havent done it long enough to do anything really slightly extreme anyways haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Usually when seeing the brand name Next I expect to see a crappy full suspension bike, but in your case it looks to be a rigid which is good.
    NEXT Parowan 26" Men's Mountain Bike
    As an around town bike it should work. The biggest thing is proper assembly of the bike and correct adjustment. This will not be done correctly by the Walmart employees so you should figure out how to do it yourself. There's plenty of info online. This bike will also be very heavy with steel rims and will probably need the derailleurs adjusted often to keep it shifting smooth.

Personally I would recommend searching Craigslist for an 80's rigid mountain bike from a major manufacturer. They are always being listed for $100 and less and offer great value.

mtbr member
    No need to sugar coat it, ALL of those "Next" bikes are garbage. Theyre not good for the path, trail, sidewalk, street, garage, anything. They'll make good recycle material.

Buy a decent used bike. Like the guy above said, a 30 year old mtn bike would be lightyears better.

Sorry it sounds so harsh, but having worked in a bike shop for the past 3 years, i cant stand seeing those bikes anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    Usually when seeing the brand name Next I expect to see a crappy full suspension bike, but in your case it looks to be a rigid which is good.
    NEXT Parowan 26" Men's Mountain Bike
    As an around town bike it should work. The biggest thing is proper assembly of the bike and correct adjustment. This will not be done correctly by the Walmart employees so you should figure out how to do it yourself. There's plenty of info online. This bike will also be very heavy with steel rims and will probably need the derailleurs adjusted often to keep it shifting smooth.

Personally I would recommend searching Craigslist for an 80's rigid mountain bike from a major manufacturer. They are always being listed for $100 and less and offer great value.
    i know how to adjust the seat to proper height and level it and etc its just im not able to spend 400 bucks and up to get a bike made for me adn then have to still work on it every now and then
    and i think this bike would be a good start for a cheap mountain bike for around town dont you?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oud25 View Post
    i know how to adjust the seat to proper height and level it and etc its just im not able to spend 400 bucks and up to get a bike made for me adn then have to still work on it every now and then
    and i think this bike would be a good start for a cheap mountain bike for around town dont you?

Buy it, expect to work on it, expect to replace the bottom bracket within a month. When you buy it, take it home and lube everything, then adjust the brakes and tune the shifting. Then ride it until it dies a horribly spectacular death. Then, please do not come back here and post how you hate me and that I gave you craptacular advice and That you were killed and the only reason that you bought it in the first place was because I told you to. Deal?

mtbr member
    Craig's list! Don't buy that, you'll be spending the money again shortly. Get a used bike on CL, ride the crap out of it. If you really like riding, buy something nicer later on and resell the original CL bike for what you originally paid . Win win

mtbr member
    didn't get enough advice in the Single Speed forum eh?

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/r...re-760733.html

that bike will be fine for riding on sidewalks and bike paths... for a while. no one is going to validate your choice here, just buy it. but don't say we did not warn you. it's going to be more expensive in the long run.

good example: a guy came into the shop where I work with the "Schwinn" junk his fiance ordered from a big box store. he said she did not want to pay a penny over $250 for a bicycle. so she ordered this bike for $249.99 ... and then paid another $30 or so for shipping. it came in a box so the (understandably) clueless man assembled it, and badly. a $80 full tune-up from the shop would do that, but now the bike was nearing $350. add to that the fact that we know from decades of collective experience that the bike would last 50 miles before the bottom bracket starts to wear out and the crappy stamped-steel brakes come out of alignment, the wheels develop wobble... more labor expense. he said he explained this to her but she was dead set on spending $250. i had to ask the guy, she's still only your fiance right? is it too late to change that, because this might be a sign of things to come.

I witness this kind of thing at least twice a week.

the guys in the Singlespeed forum were very kind to you and offered to help you find a better deal, but you refused to give us the information (approximately where you live and how tall you are) that would have helped us find a decent used bike cheap for you. you were pissed because you thought we were treating you like a child, but the fact is, you're acting like one. so i am left to believe one of the following: a) you're just too obstinate and immature to be reasoned with, that is, you're a child, or b) you are trolling, that is, making absurd posts just to get people riled up.

so before you waste anyone else's time, tell us the following:
    1. a remote idea of where you live, where the local Craigslist page might be,
    2. how tall you are so we can find a bike around the correct size.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    One sign of insanity is repeating the same steps over and over and expecting a different result.

Oud25, why not start a third thread to ask the same question? You might get a different result.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    One sign of insanity is repeating the same steps over and over and expecting a different result.

Oud25, why not start a third thread to ask the same question? You might get a different result.

Grumps
    ok grumps i made that other thread because people asked me to get off the one i was asking questions on so i dont confuse people so i made it and once i was told it wasnt worth it i made another to see what people thought about that bike. if you dont have something nice to say then dont say it, i love that you want to help but if your just going to troll the entire time and constantly say that your going to stop warning me, then stop warning me and stressing. wash your hands of it already. its not meant to last a life time its only supposed to be a bike to get me from point a to point b a few miles away tops on paved roads. im not doing extreme sports or track racing

mtbr member
    part of the problem is that you are asking on mtbr.com, where 99% of the discussions are about riding trails, in the woods, in a fast, aggressive manor. so when you ask if a Next bike is ok on this forum, people assume you are looking for a trail-worthy bike. it would be like going to ultra-hardcore-marathon-runners.com and asking if Crocs slippers are ok shoes. of course everyone is going to shoot you down because they all have ultrahardcoremarathon running in mind when you ask that question. if you just want to shuffle around the house with them, there's no point in asking on a forum devoted to marathon runners.

likewise, if you want a crappy bike to putz around the neighborhood, you are not going to get any helpful information here. honestly, if that's all you're going to do, that bike will be fine. go buy it.

what's irritating to so many people is that you have already made up your mind on buying a crappy, cheap bike. several people offered to help you but you refused to provide one iota of helpful information that would allow us to help you find a deal. so that leads me to conclude that you just wanted someone to validate your decision, and when no one did, you continued to be obstinate and contrary even in the face of the most reasonable, helpful suggestions and questions.

so go buy your Next bike. ride around the neighborhood. when the bike costs you twice what you paid for it in repairs over the next few months, remember that we warned you and you didn't help us help you. it's your fault that you didn't take help when it was offered to you. I asked you again and again, and you didn't take my help, so go have fun.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I've already explained in the previous thread about the false economy of blowing $70 on that bike and why your interests would be served better if you had some patience and saved a little more. It's simply my opinion though one that is shared by others it seems.

You've been given offers of assistance and you keep turning a blind eye to it.

Ultimately it's your choice to buy the Next and your heart seems set on it. So I fail to see why the same question need be asked over and over when you've clearly made your mind up. You seek opinion and advice then ignore it.

And YOU'RE accusing ME of trolling? That's rich.

Show me one post where I have said I would stop warning you? You keep asking questions and people that genuinely want to assist continue to respond. Well, congratulations, you've managed to wear down my patience and my good nature.

And while you've got me on a rant, learn to present text as text deserves to presented in a text based forum.

Buy the Next. I hope it gets you to your Mensa meetings and gives you months of enjoyment.

Grumps

AZ
    banned
    Stab me in the neck please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I've already explained in the previous thread about the false economy of blowing $70 on that bike and why your interests would be served better if you had some patience and saved a little more. It's simply my opinion though one that is shared by others it seems.

You've been given offers of assistance and you keep turning a blind eye to it.

Ultimately it's your choice to buy the Next and your heart seems set on it. So I fail to see why the same question need be asked over and over when you've clearly made your mind up. You seek opinion and advice then ignore it.

And YOU'RE accusing ME of trolling? That's rich.

Show me one post where I have said I would stop warning you? You keep asking questions and people that genuinely want to assist continue to respond. Well, congratulations, you've managed to wear down my patience and my good nature.

And while you've got me on a rant, learn to present text as text deserves to presented in a text based forum.

Buy the Next. I hope it gets you to your Mensa meetings and gives you months of enjoyment.

Grumps
    im sorry it wasnt you it was mack_turtle in the other forum saying he wouldnt give me any more information
    my iq is high but not that high
    and the reason i dont present text (im assuming your talking about my location and my build and etc) is because i took some of your peoples advise and looked on craigslist and etc
    im sorry i wore down your patience im going to reply to the other guys real quick then get off here and probably wont get back on here since its only for extreme trail riders

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    part of the problem is that you are asking on mtbr.com, where 99% of the discussions are about riding trails, in the woods, in a fast, aggressive manor. so when you ask if a Next bike is ok on this forum, people assume you are looking for a trail-worthy bike. it would be like going to ultra-hardcore-marathon-runners.com and asking if Crocs slippers are ok shoes. of course everyone is going to shoot you down because they all have ultrahardcoremarathon running in mind when you ask that question. if you just want to shuffle around the house with them, there's no point in asking on a forum devoted to marathon runners.

likewise, if you want a crappy bike to putz around the neighborhood, you are not going to get any helpful information here. honestly, if that's all you're going to do, that bike will be fine. go buy it.

what's irritating to so many people is that you have already made up your mind on buying a crappy, cheap bike. several people offered to help you but you refused to provide one iota of helpful information that would allow us to help you find a deal. so that leads me to conclude that you just wanted someone to validate your decision, and when no one did, you continued to be obstinate and contrary even in the face of the most reasonable, helpful suggestions and questions.

so go buy your Next bike. ride around the neighborhood. when the bike costs you twice what you paid for it in repairs over the next few months, remember that we warned you and you didn't help us help you. it's your fault that you didn't take help when it was offered to you. I asked you again and again, and you didn't take my help, so go have fun.
    i took every bit of information i could without posting where i was
    just because i didnt post my information on here doesnt mean i didnt go and look myself for good deals.
    and its a mountain bike forum just because extreme riders are on here doesnt mean thats all its for, i was looking for a MOUNTAIN BIKE to ride on and wanted to know if it was ok to ride in town and could handle a couple rocks and bumps without impaling me on the forks.
    but as i told uncle, this will most likely be my last post on here, thank you for the information i have absorbed and im sorry for stressing you guys out
    i might get back on here once i mature a bit more and actually have money to buy stuff with but anyways thanks for your guys help...

Yes, that's fonetic
    and the reason i dont present text (im assuming your talking about my location and my build and etc) probably wont get back on here since its only for extreme trail riders
    No, he's talking about presenting text in a manner that is reasonably easy to understand, i.e. that which contains punctuation, capitalization and is divided into coherent paragraphs.

This is the beginner forum so no, it's not for "extreme trail riders", just riders that come for advice and then listen to said advice.

just because i didnt post my information on here doesnt mean i didnt go and look myself for good deals.
    The problem is that you've repeatedly shown that you don't have a clue what a "good deal" is and you seem to refuse to allow anyone to help you find one.

mtbr member
    and its a mountain bike forum just because extreme riders are on here doesnt mean thats all its for, i was looking for a MOUNTAIN BIKE to ride on and wanted to know if it was ok to ride in town and could handle a couple rocks and bumps without impaling me on the forks.
    but as i told uncle, this will most likely be my last post on here, thank you for the information i have absorbed and im sorry for stressing you guys out
    i might get back on here once i mature a bit more and actually have money to buy stuff with but anyways thanks for your guys help...
    try here

www.bigboxbikes.com
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005

and the reason i dont present text (im assuming your talking about my location and my build and etc)
    Mine is 122. At least it was when I last took a test which was 3 years ago. To the best of my understanding I've not suffered a brain injury since then. Is yours higher than your age?

As for the text, no, as usual you assume wrong. Hence the reason I question your IQ.

im taling about the way you present your text as a whole lump or words which lack any capitalisation of proper nouns and the like and insufficient punctuation. this forum isn't for extreme trail riders its for anyone wanting to learn or share about mtb. i still dont think its the right place for you.

Good riddence. Don't let the screen door hit you in the butt on your way out.

Grumps

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Stab me in the neck please.
    Ok, but my IQ is only 126.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    you're kidding me..

seriously, a forum for POS bikes? my neighbor must be hanging out there.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Ok, but my IQ is only 126.

That's okay, mine has plummeted from reading the op's two threads, Forrest Gump is a forking genius comparatively speaking.

Members who have read this thread: 0