Next Bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: Next Bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Next Bike

I'm looking to get another bike, but first here's some background: I'm in college now, and I have a nice GF HKEK (hardtail) at home. At school I have an old hybrid bike that I put MTB tires on (700x45). It works, but the rigid front fork is holding me back. I could ship my GF here, but then I wouldn't have a bike at home when I'm there, and I wouldn't want to miss out on the mountain biking at Tahoe. I also don't know where I'll be next summer, if I'll be working near home again or somewhere else.

For a while I thought about getting a 29'er, but at this point I don't know that one would be worth the price premium. I think I'll stick with 26'ers for now, that way I can swap wheels with my other bike if I want to upgrade.

I'm open to the idea of a FS bike, but I don't think a good one would be in my price range. I don't want one that's heavy or wastes too much power. My dad has a Giant Trance X3, and I don't like riding it compared to my hardtail. Not saying it's a bad bike, I just don't like it. I do mostly XC riding, though I would like to do some more technical stuff given the opportunity. I did do some moderate (no jumps or anything) lift-serviced downhill on my hardtail this summer and it was alright.

At this point I would probably buy another hardtail, unless I'm talked into getting FS. I'm kind of interested in a steel frame after reading about them a bit here, but I'm not sure what the options are. Does anyone make complete bikes with good steel frames, or do I have to buy a frame and build up a bike myself? I'm open to that idea since that way I get exactly what I want, and I'll probably learn something.

How much should I spend on a frame? I want to spend under $1000 on the whole bike, but realistically I think I'll be spending that much on components alone (mainly the wheels and fork). Where can I get a good steel frame that's not excessively expensive?

I'm 6' tall and weight 140lbs. Both my current bikes are 21" and they fit me well as far I can tell. I like the way my GF rides, though I haven't compared it to much.

Edit: I'm also looking at used bikes, but I'm not seeing many in my size on Craig's List. I'll call a few places on Tuesday and see if there are any shops that sell used bikes around here (Atlanta).
    Matt

DynoDon
    Seems like you could find a good 29 bike for under $1000. If you buy an online bike, it sounds like you can figure out the fit and geometry of a bike to suit you, just put a few parts on the bike adjust and ride, here are some sites there are plenty more, I have 2 Motobecanes and found them great bikes, good luck

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400001_400001

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?...sort=styleName

Members who have read this thread: 0