Newbie! What bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Newbie! What bike?

I'm looking to get back into mountain biking. I haven't really been on a bike since I turned 16 and started driving... I'm now 24. I am looking to get an idea as to what company, model, and size bike would suit me. I'm not looking to spend 1000 bucks, but i know that good mountain bikes aren't 250 bucks. I've been searching around on ebay for different bikes and there So Many! The terrian I will be on is uphill, downhill, rocks, through mud/water, etc etc etc. Any advise and direction on what to look for in a bike company, model, and size would be Greatly Appeciated. Thanks!

Ohhh yea and i'm 5'10 145 lbs for bike size.

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the forums

That's a tough question to answer, but you've at least given us some good info to start with. I would suggest going to your local bike shop (LBS for short) and looking at some hardtails. You should be able to find something nice in the $500-$800 range. All of the major manufacturers like Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. will have similar offerings in this price range. As for size, you'll need to test ride the bikes to see how they fit you, but you're probably somewhere in the middle of the range of sizes. If buying direct from the manufacturer is OK to you, try Ibex bikes. They give you a great bang for the buck. Give them a call and let them know what your price range and needs are. They will also ask some questions to help recommend a size.

Let us know what you find.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you are looking for a dirt jumper those bikes will be good, but if you are getting it for general xc riding most of those are going to be heavy and slightly akward. Although the hardrock is usually a good buy, but you wont know if you fit that one.

I would say since you dont know what size or brand that you want your time would be best spent going down the lbs to try out a bunch of bikes and see what feels good to you. If you havent bought a mountain bike before I would steer clear of ebay since you wont be able to try it out first and dont really know what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Based on your criteria, I would say no to all of those. The Specialized P Series, and Cannondale Chase are Urban/Dirt Jump/Skate Park bikes. The Big Hit would be good for Freeriding and Downhill only. The Hardrock was built up as a single speed, and probably wouldn't be good unless you are really fit.

ride hard take risks
    If you are buying a new bike from some guy on ebay your taking a pretty big risk, is there a warranty, where did it come from, plus you are bidding on something you are not famillar with - components.

Check out Ibex like CmC suggested. They are a net company that has excelent bikes at a great price. If you want a FS bike you will sacrafice the component quality, a HT will be your best bett.

https://www.ibexbikes.com/index.html
    https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-3-Details.html
    https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html

Members who have read this thread: 0