Thread: Newbie question

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Newbie question

Very new to this, and about to buy my first bike.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a "Freeride Hardtail" and a "XC Hardtail". I get that Hardtail means no shocks in the rear and I assume that XC stands for Cross Country.

But I'm not getting the "Freeride" aspect and how that makes the bike different.

Sorry for the very basic question....and thanks for your help.
    Dean

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by smbiker
    Very new to this, and about to buy my first bike.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a "Freeride Hardtail" and a "XC Hardtail". I get that Hardtail means no shocks in the rear and I assume that XC stands for Cross Country.

But I'm not getting the "Freeride" aspect and how that makes the bike different.

Sorry for the very basic question....and thanks for your help.
    Dean
    There's never a dumb question, just dumb answers, so don't worry about posting whatever you don't know. And it's a good question.

In mountain biking, from my point of view, I think there are about 4 different types:

XC or cross country. It's distance, speed and climbing as well as descents. You don't need too much suspension travel (the distance that the fork can compress), and generally look for a low weight.

Trail or All-Mountain. It's riding in rougher terrain, more over rocks, some small stunts, climbin and descending. Generaly looking for a longer travel bike (from 4" to 6"), a little stonger frame.

Freeriding. Its for people who are lacking common self preservation instincts... kidding. It's jumping, doing stunts, and distance doesn't matter as much as thrills and doing crazier things. Bikes are beefier, stronger and heavier.

Downhill. If you thought freeriders were crazy.... Fast descents over almost any terrain, jumps. Very strong bikes.

Well, comming back to your question, yes, hardtails are bikes that only have front suspension, or forks. Full suspension have suspension on both wheels. Rigids don't have suspension a lot.

A freeride hardtail will take a lot more abuse than a XC hardtail. Will support longer forks, and be heavier in order to support the abuse. Also, the geometry, a XC bike will tend to be more faster steering than a freeride.

Basically, it just depends on what you want to do. If you want to do jumps, stunts, a freeride rig will be what you need, if you just want to start and then see where you from there, start with a XC bike.

Specialized has the Hardrock wich I think is a versatile hardtail. But that's just my opinion, there are a lot of different bikes out there that will fill your needs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks so much for the clarification!

I think a XC MTB will be best for me--some bike path riding, some trail riding....no high insurance premium stuff. Looking at a Gary Fisher and the entry level Cannondale....

Thanks again...
    d