Newb needing a bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Newb needing a bike

Hey guys I'm looking into getting into mountain biking but don't really know much about bikes.

I am looking to spend about 400 on a bike and want to know what would be the best thing to go with. I would prefer full suspension, and disc brakes are mandatory! I'm 5'10" and about 160 if that makes a difference.
    I plan on doing just some trails, maybe a little jumping here and there, but nothing crazy as this is just for fun! I have ATV's to hurt myself on lol.

Thanks!

T.W.O.
    Hardtail, decent fully start at about 700

The Mud Stud
    Hardtail will get you a good bike. It will also make you a better rider. Full suspension will cost much more for comparable performance. New riders learn better on hardtails anyway. Think about full suspension in a year or two.

T.W.O.
    Hard tail is the cheaper way to get into the sport, than FS. When you are hooked and committed to the sport then the investment of a Full suspension or whatever you'd choose at that time would be better.

I agree that hardtail can help newbie a better rider because it teaches basic body positions and movement on the bike.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by zrider91r
    Hey guys I'm looking into getting into mountain biking but don't really know much about bikes.

I am looking to spend about 400 on a bike and want to know what would be the best thing to go with. I would prefer full suspension, and disc brakes are mandatory! I'm 5'10" and about 160 if that makes a difference.
    I plan on doing just some trails, maybe a little jumping here and there, but nothing crazy as this is just for fun! I have ATV's to hurt myself on lol.

Thanks!

The only way you'll get anything remotely decent for $400 is if you buy used.

T.W.O.
    That's why being a newbie sucks! But it get sweeter.
    It takes a while, for some a long time to lean about MTB bikes and components. Such a steep learning curve. You got hardtail, Softtail, 29er, 650b, and whole bunch of FS not to mention the materials, and Trim lines.

Then the components, Shimano, Sram, Fox, Rockshox, etc.
    even with the help of Google nowadays you'd still be as lost buying used as to new ones. Once you learn about things involved on a bike and can determine good deal when you see one you can find lots of good deals.

If you buy new stick with big brand, you should be safe there. Welcome to the sport

The Mud Stud
    One bike. Forge sawback 5xx. Check it out. Its pretty good, really its a giant frame, decent components, under 400. Its a rather unknown bike, but pretty good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the quick feedback guys!

I under stand that the FS bikes cost a huge anount more for a nice bike, so i think
    i am going hardtail.
    I am really familiar with how suspension works due to the fact that suspension on my ATV's
    cost about as much as the quad itself did 0_o

As for a decent suspension Brand, I see a lot of bikes have rock shocks(i think)
    Are they good?

Afric Pepperbird
    On a bike that cheap, the only RockShox you'll get is a Dart. It's the bottom of the RockShox barrel, but hey, you've got to start somewhere.

I like mud
    I agree that you should look for a used bike for that budget. Once you get it you can slowly learn about all the parts and the ways to improve it. After a few months, if you ride a lot and are into it, you should know where you stand.

The main thing is that you just ride! Good luck, and let us know what you end up buying.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well it's nice that you get into MTB. It's a good thing you donít spend to much money in the beginning because it takes a wile before you find your own riding style. Later on you will now what kind of bike you want to have, and by then you have learnt a thing or two about biking and bikes.

Maybe you can buy a second hand hard tail that is in good condition. That way you might end up with a decent HT for the buck.

Have fun

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    I am a Bike addict, and I recommend that you stay far from Bicycling, LBS, and anything that resembles the like of a bike.

We are all hook and if your not sure you want to be run away....LOL!

Did you find anything yet. Go buy a Fisher wahoo disc

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No, I am still looking..

SA for being addicted, I am addicted to my ATV's so I know the exact bug you guys all have lol!

Members who have read this thread: 0