New Trends: Mini-Velo, Retro City, Monster Cross, Monster Tires?- Mtbr.com
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor

New Trends: Mini-Velo, Retro City, Monster Cross, Monster Tires?

As SS/FG and 29er become much more mainstream, there are several other trends that seem to be coming along. I would love to hear comments on these

Mini-Velo - very popular in Asia and growing in Europe. These bikes sit like a road bike; but have 20" wheels. Geo is very interesting and they are not folders.
    See the general style here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-gi9_OMKs4

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? bike polo? a spare fun bike?
    At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Retro City Bikes - these seem to be growing but still not readily available. Public anf Linus have interesting versions; they ride very comfy and upright; seem functional and nice for short casual rides; some are very attractive [I think] See the general style here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERBfFx1VW1Q

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? family rides? a spare fun bike? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Monster Cross - a mix of 29er and CX bike - drop bars with super wide tires. I am unsure if this is a trend; but it might be. See a good example gere -> http://www.voodoocycles.net/nakisi.htm

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? off-road racer? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Monster Tire Bikes - I have seen no real trend here; but they are interesting. The Surly Pugsley is an axample -> http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley_complete/ BUT I have seen an riden a street bike and a beach cruiser with super big high air volume tires [like 4.0 or 4.5]. Super comfy ride; like floating on air, and lots of work.

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? beach or dirt rides? Just for the heck of it? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Noone really knows where the industry is headed in terms of new designs and comsumers demands; but it is fun to think & talk about.

mtbr member
    Mike- great you ar reaching out to "us" consumers for trends. Something new is most likely a glimps of the past but like you said Fun to talk about. Thought long and hard about most of your examples and bought a FS 29er as my "last" bike for a while. Hope it lasts 10 years or so.

Retro City Bikes for the college and city crowd along the lines of the pashley guvnor:

would be cool...Keep looking ahead ;-)
    Last edited by Howley; 12-03-2010 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Monster cross
    I don't currently own one, but I really want to. I like the idea of cyclocross bikes, but would prefer the option to go bigger on the tires.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Thanks for all the comments. VERY HELPFUIL! Every comment I learned something from and I hope that benefits our customers and cycling in general. {I even learn from those that slam me or our concept}

Mini Velo: I learned that some wanted these; some did not want them and that many were generally confused by the entire category. And importantly I found that unlike the standard in Asia & Europe, customers here would like 406 BMX type rims with room for more rubber.

I am still unsure if these bikes will sell well. When I made the post I really had not decided to order any. Now I have decided’ what the heck?’; and ordered the Mercier Nano as a test. I will do a ‘group buy’ for forum members on these in the spring sometime at a special price. There may be many who decide this type of bike is worth a try if they are under $300.

I sold our four samples to forum members who posted that they would like one. Those have shipped and I hope those forum members will post on RBR, MTBR, and Bikeforums their honest opinion on these bikes. [my opinion is not too meaningfully as I love to ride about any bike and see the positive aspects of all].

I know I will not be the only one watching this experiment as there are several other brands/importers with this type bike ready to go and are just waiting to see if anyone thinks they will sell.

Retro City Bike: I had already decided to try this out [2 models - one SS and one 3-spd]. I knew this would work in my shops. But after reading the comments I think this may be an expanding area and I will spec more models. The customers and ideas on this remind me of SS/FG in that some people would think to get old bikes and modify; but that most will get new bikes if they can find the correct style at a good price.

These bikes are great for function; and new ones need to have that style / look that customers like. We cannot just take a hybrid and slap on fenders and call it a city bike. There are a couple of brands doing a good job right now. Also I agree with many comments that to reach most buyers the price needs to be low. I expect if price is good enough that even hardcore road or mountain riders would get one as a ‘sport / commute’ extra bike.

Monster Cross: I had no idea about the chance of us doing this type bike. In fact, I still find the ‘ideas’ on what this type bike should be as unfocused [to say the least]. And I really had no intention of doing one of these but wanted to learn what others thought.

After reading all the comments; I sent in specs for a 4130 ss/multi-speed version and I am waiting for drawings and quotes; then samples etc. I thought why not try a few at higher level.

Then after reading the comments and looking around net about these bikes, I decided what the heck, I should also try an Aluminum one at lower price. Working on frame design now; probably will do with mountain double and with cyclo-cross double [so now that is 3 models!]

Anyway, I can see how can see how a bike like this can be a super versatile bike for all types of uses. Change your tires and get new use like a CX bike; but even more so with more tire choices. {and the 4130 model will come with SS & multiple setups; and maybe two sets of tires}

Once this process of development is over; I may do a group buy if there is interest from forum members on one of the Monster Cross bikes.

Monster Tire Bikes: OMG, I feel like a drunk with a 20 page drink menu at the Tiki bar. What kind of bikes can I just skip? I had no clue this type bike would really be interesting. I am still unsure; but I am starting to see how in some special situations that some cyclists would need or want a bike like this. Of course, it is very different for those by beach than those who have snow.

Rims, Tires, Tubes, Forks are all special challenges on these. Plus a real commitment as I will not do a bike like this without stocking wheels, tires, tubes and forks for customer backup. Let’s face it, not easy to get replacement parts on these special items. Designing a frame is no big deal and easy. But other items on this type bike are really difficult.

I have no idea if I will ever do a monster tire bike; but if I do it has to be priced at a very reasonable price. I do not see this type bike as anyone’s only bike. Of course, I am dedicated to the idea that if you are spending $5000 on bikes you are better off with 5 really nice bikes than with one $5000 prestige bike that you are afraid to ride or transport or leave parked in the garage. And I agree that #bikes.you.need = #bikes.you.have + 1.

I love the forums! I used to get all types of ideas from standing on the floor in my shops and talking to customers. Now it is much easier and better [forums cover a wide area as shop customers are limited to a small area]. With so many types of cyclists and so many possible designs out there it is a never ending moving target when buying or designing bikes; but exciting and fun. Thanks again for your posts.

mtbr member
    Mike,
    Thanks again for keeping an eye out for the future.

Had you looked at Cargo bikes? Some of the short runs that are being used in Africa look like a category to consider. Africa has special considerations for spare parts i.e brakes need to be serviceable so they go with single speed coaster brakes- 40+ spoke rear wheels etc.

There was a one off Cargo Fat bike that is very intriguing -to have Fat 26 inch wheels 4 in tires or a 29er wheel option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mike,

Don't know if you are still following this thread, but a couple of suggestions for Monster Cross frame design to maximize versatility:
    1. Disk brakes.
    2. 135mm MTB rear dropout spacing, not road.
    3. Clearances set up to allow up to both 700x45C or 650x64B tire, i.e. 1.75" cross/29'er tire or 2.5" 650B MTB tire. (Both of these have the same overall diameter).

Regarding price, I think around $1000 is a good place to aim for. This would hopefully get a similar spec machine to your current Fantom Cross Pro (SRAM Rival componentry).

My 2c worth.

Members who have read this thread: 0