Thread: New or Old

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

New or Old

I've been out of mountain biking for several years (kids and life etc.), but I'm looking to get back into it. I had a 2000 Specialized Rockhopper, which I left on an island in the South Pacific, so now I need a new bike on a budget. I went to all of the LBSs in my area, but they all tried to up-sell me and get me on a $1,000 bike. I've been looking at used bikes online, and was wondering if it is better to get an older bike that was nicer in the day or get a new bike at a lower level. The two that I'm looking at right now are a 2007 Trek Fuel EX 7 and a 2017 GT Aggressor Pro. I like to do trail riding, but I don't leave the ground much (I'm 6'3" 200lb).

Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Typically the sweet spot for used bikes is around 2-5 years old. In this range, the bike has depreciated quite a bit, but still will have fairly modern geometry and components. Anything older than that typically isn't worth it, unless you're just looking to ride around streets. Low end components today are better quality and more reliable than high end components from 10 years ago.

What's your actual budget? I would look for a few year old, relatively high spec hardtail. Basically any name brand hardtail that started out in the $900-1500 range, and has depreciated to the $500-700 range. This could be a Rockhopper, Giant Talon, Trek Caliber, etc. You can also look at Diamondback's range of new bikes. I don't remember the models names (maybe it's the Hook to look at), but I have heard good things about their ~$700 hardtail. There's lots of discounts that can be used on these.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the advice. That rules out the Trek. I would like to keep the cost to $500 if I can.