New Men's Fitness Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

New question here. New Men's Fitness Bike

Hi,

I'm going to buy a new mountain bike and I want to know if the Men's Fitness Bike is a good deal. It's made by Prodeco Technologies (one of the most innovative bike designers) and looks like a good deal at $600. I really want one with rear shox but I like that this one folds up and has disc brakes. It's at Men's Fitness can anyone help me decide? Plus, it comes with $300 in free accessories so really this is worth $900 and that's almost as much as the nice rockhopper. What do you guys think?

Jsims

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Can't tell if this is spam or a serious inquiry. If the latter, I wouldn't buy that bike. No one should buy that bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I say buy it. It has Rust and Corrosion Resistant Components. That in and of itself is worth it. How many times have any of you guys bought a bike and thought "Boy, only if this bike was made with Rust and Corrosion Resistant Components, I could ride in the rain"?

You do know why it is frowned upon to ride on wet trails right? No, not because it ruins trails, its because bike components rust and corrode. Now with a bike made with Rust and Corrosion Resistant Components, you can ride on wet trails. If someone was to stop you at the trail head when it is wet, just tell them "My bike is made with Rust and Corrosion Resistant Components, its ok, I can ride when its wet". You can then tell them they too can ride when the trails are wet because the bike has Rust and Corrosion Resistant Components.

mtbr member
    Why spend $600 on that, when you can get a much better deal at Walmart ?

Same thing only costs $199 there! Does it have rust a corrosion resistant parts? I'm sure it does!

36lbs?! What a featherweight!
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for pointing out that it has rust resistent components I didn't actually notice that. I usually try to avoid riding in the mud because I always have to power wash my bike afterwards but it's good to know I don't have to worry about that with this one. I think this one is a better deal than what I can get at Wal-Mart because it's designed by Prodeco Technologies instead of Wal-Mart and because it folds up. I had a bike from walmart once and the shifting and brakes didn't work very well. Plus this one also comes with $300 in accessories which is why I'm really interested in it too and that's worth more than the Wal-Mart bikes by itself. So 36 lbs is a good weight for a bike then? I think my old bike is only about 30 but probably doesn't have as good of heavy duty parts or rust resistant components on it. Thanks for the help so far!

g3h6o3
    It's funny I opened this thread while also opening a bag of popcorn!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    What a complete joke of a bike!! It almost makes it better that the OP can't see all the sarcasm.

Here is my prediction, the bike will last till the first rock garden the crumble into pieces. Guess it could just fold up. Benefit is that the owner could just fold the bike up when they have to lug the 36lb bike out of the woods.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Stay far away from that thing! Everything in that advertisement is just a hyped up sales pitch, it looks like something you would find for sale on late night TV, I'm surprised the "free" $300 accessory package doesn't come with a pocket calculator and a bread knife that can slice through cinder blocks that you get to keep for free just for trying the bike. That "free" $300 in accessories is built into the price of the bike, which if they were even worth $300 brings the value of the bike itself down to $300 which is in the range of a walmart bike. Every bike should have rust resistant components on it, if that's being used as a selling point it obviously doesn't have much to offer above that. Imagine reading a car advertisement that boasted something like "Rubber Tires" or "Metal Frame".... as opposed to what... Clay tires and a wooden frame? They are trying to make a big deal out of things that should not need to be mentioned.

If you are going to spend $600 on a bike, you would be far better off buying an entry level bike from a real bike shop. The will help you maintain it, and take care of any issues if something comes up. They represent real bike manufacturers with real warranties. If there was a warranty issue on that Men's Fitness bike, you would have to ship it somewhere to be evaluated, likely taking months and months, and would probably be told it was your fault and they would require you to pay return shipping and you would still be without a decent, working bike. Bikes like this are in the same category as Wal-Mart or other department store bikes, they are "toys". Forget you ever saw this thing and go into a bike shop to see what you can get for $600 there, you will be happy you did.

g3h6o3
    Aww come on guys we we're having fun here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you really need a folding bike I have not seen one better than this. It is heavy but that is it's only flaw. If you don't need a folding bike you can get a lighter one with similar parts from a bike shop and they will give you some free stuff and some free services.

mtbr member
    Please don't buy this bike...

Go to your local bike shop and let them help you pick something out. You will be much happier.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.867287,-78.542732

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by ProdecoRob View Post
    6” pothole and the wheel rides out still trued, when have you seen that before?
    The thing is we are not riding on the street but on mountains which have far bigger obstacles than a 6 inch pothole...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    The thing is we are not riding on the street but on mountains which have far bigger obstacles than a 6 inch pothole...
    Look at you trying to interject some rational thoughts...this flies in the face of all this marketing you know
    CyclingCentralVa.org

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    After reading all this I'm sold. Group buy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    After reading all this I'm sold. Group buy?
    Of course its a group buy. After hearing from XBikerX27 and ProdecoRob about how cool the bike is, I'm sold too. Why would anyone waste their time to post shill reviews of something on MTBR if they weren't forealz?

I'll collect the money. Paypal me $800 to sucker@gmail.com
    The extra $200 is for additional "free" swag accessories thrown in.
    Better hurry before I hit the order button! Don't sleep on it guys/gals.

Paul
    Jun 2010
    Money sent. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's on sale.
    Buy it.
    Plus it's got a chain guard!
    I only have 2 toes on my right foot because I keep
    getting my foot caught in the chain.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Hey op

What mtbiker said.

If you still need convincing, I looked up prodeco (never heard of them, sorry) and they also sell the 'mens fitness bike' on their site with a similar component group (brand name brakes (instead of 'promax') for msrp $699. So $1099 is an inflated number to begin with.

http://prodecotech.com/bikes/mens-fitness/

In general, when people sell specialized stuff (like a bike) in a place that is not dedicated to that specialization (mens fitness magazine), it is almost never a good deal, they are capitalizing on the fact that they have your attention, and hoping a portion of readers will never research the purchase and buy. Think SkyMall.

This is especially true when the item is branded with a brand totally unrelated to the item. They sell Jeep bikes, Porsche bikes, they all suck. They want you to say 'gee, i trust mens fitness mag, therefore this must be a good bike.' Would you buy an esquire branded bike? How about an FHM or maxim branded bike? Same applies here.

The way to determine if a bike is a good deal is to look at a lot of bikes, understand frames and their construction (in this tier, that would be Al vs cromo vs the ever nondescript 'steel'), know the parts and what they cost, and make an informed decision on that basis. There is no easy button.
    Last edited by Procter; 01-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The fact that they only make one size tells you all you need to know. As others have said, take our $600 and go to a few local bike shops, have the bike fitted, ride three or four bikes in your size and get the one most comfortable to you. If you say where you live, people may be able to suggest a good shop.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member

Damn! Only 62lbs! WOOOOWWWW!!!

A dual crown MAGNESIUM 140mm fork?! I never knew they put those on bikes!
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

Picture Unrelated
    Did you guys set up the group buy yet? Will you take my money?

Help!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Check out the Outlaw SS

Outlaw SS 2013 | Catalog Products | Shop | Prodeco Technologies

Apparently, the worlds first 'SS' bike with gears. Groundbreaking. I didn't think that was possible but somehow they did it.

". . .guaranteed to take your riding experience beyond the wildest of e-bike imaginations."

mtbr member
    Thanks for the laughs guys, I have never been so giddy while reading a post here. I would vote for a 29er Hard rock for under $600. You will be much happier.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

ballbuster

I think

Quote Originally Posted by jsims479 View Post
    Hi,

I'm going to buy a new mountain bike and I want to know if the Men's Fitness Bike is a good deal. It's made by Prodeco Technologies (one of the most innovative bike designers) and looks like a good deal at $600. I really want one with rear shox but I like that this one folds up and has disc brakes. It's at Men's Fitness can anyone help me decide? Plus, it comes with $300 in free accessories so really this is worth $900 and that's almost as much as the nice rockhopper. What do you guys think?

Jsims
    Spammers like yourself suck ballz.

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post

Damn! Only 62lbs! WOOOOWWWW!!!

A dual crown MAGNESIUM 140mm fork?! I never knew they put those on bikes!
    Sick! How 'bout the 29er Titanio 29er 2013 | Catalog Products | Shop | Prodeco Technologies
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv