New member, a few questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

New member, a few questions

Just about ready to buy my first bike. I am going to ride trails, some tight woods, nothing too technical. A guy that I know is selling his bike and called me yesterday. It is a 2009 FSR XC Expert.

http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...1&menuItemId=0

What are your thoughts on this bike? I am leaning towards the full suspension due to some back problems. I wrecked my dirtbike several years back and think the added rear shock will help with the impacts a little. He is only wanting $800 for the bike and it is in perfect shape.

I looked at new Treks and Giants but for the money i would be getting a much better bike but slightly used if I went with the FSR. If I end up really getting into riding, would I be able to swap out the front forks? I have read a few reviews that people say the front forks arent that great. Anything else I would need to upgrade?

Thoughts?

Permanent Noob
    That's a sweet deal IMHO. If it fits you I'd say go for it. Be sure to give it a good looking over for cracks, etc.

You shouldn't have any issues if you want to swap out the fork later, but from what I've read, the recon has a pretty good rep. I test rode one and it felt great to me, YMMV though.
    I'm beginning to overcome my "momentum issues" but even that is happening slowly.

MTB Name - Crustius Maximus

mtbr member
    There really isnt anything to upgrade. You also might find the fork more than adequate. As things wear out go ahead and upgrade. There is no problem to swapping fork. Upgrading the fork can be rather expensive. If you were to upgrade and buy for example a used Reba or Fox fork which is probably the most logical upgrade you have to make sure the steerer tube isnt cut too short. A fork that comes off a small or x-small frame wont work on a large or xl frame. If you do decide to put a different fork on have your local shop do the installation.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I will go check it out tomorrow and make sure it doesn't have anything wrong with it. The guy says it is in near perfect condition. He uses it for pretty technical trails and thats why he is selling, he wants to upgrade to something better.

But $800 for a bike that retails for $1600 sounds like a deal to me.

TRANCER
    Jump on it ! Great price!
    Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0