mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New to full suspension. Could use some help

I'm ready to purchase my first fs bike and I want to keep the price some where around two grand. I've been looking around and a few bikes have caught my eye. The iron horse mk3 expert, tomac eli, and yeti 575. I would just like to hear some opinions on these bikes from any one who may have ridden one or all of them. And any other reccomendations are welcome as well. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Can't say much except I have read a lot of good opinions and positive words about the Yeti 575. I think the Iron Horse is good but may be a bit on the heavy side? I know nothing at all about Tomac. You also may want to look at the Kona Dawg Dee-Lux or the Giant Reign 2 in that range.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Can't say much except I have read a lot of good opinions and positive words about the Yeti 575. I think the Iron Horse is good but may be a bit on the heavy side? I know nothing at all about Tomac. You also may want to look at the Kona Dawg Dee-Lux or the Giant Reign 2 in that range.
    Can't help you either. Use the <i>search</i> feature on this board and research what others have said in the past. If i remember right the Tomac has a bad rep here for breakage/warranty issues. I am a bit partial to the Horstlink bikes like Specialized, Turner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by justme548
    I'm ready to purchase my first fs bike and I want to keep the price some where around two grand. I've been looking around and a few bikes have caught my eye. The iron horse mk3 expert, tomac eli, and yeti 575. I would just like to hear some opinions on these bikes from any one who may have ridden one or all of them. And any other reccomendations are welcome as well. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
    Defintely spend a lot of time sifting through the reviews, and doing searches on this forum and on the manufacturer forums. Take the forums with a grain of salt though. What I think you'll find is that the 575 has a great reputation as does the MKIII. The MKIII has a suspension system called the DW link that has a strong cult like following. So much so that I'd really like to try one out.

The MKIII is one of the most incredible values available in FS. Given the prices found at Supergo, Randall Scott, and Performance esp. when you factor in coupons. Many people have gone the route of purchasing the full bike, parting out the pieces they don't want and in the end getting the frame for a fraction of what the Yeti costs.

ballbuster

second that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Can't help you either. Use the <i>search</i> feature on this board and research what others have said in the past. If i remember right the Tomac has a bad rep here for breakage/warranty issues. I am a bit partial to the Horstlink bikes like Specialized, Turner.
    From what I hear, Tomac should be avoided. Once the company was sold, cheaped out and went overseas, they have had a rep for cruddy welds that fail. That's not to say that there are no quality bikes that come from Taiwan, quite the opposite.

I second the Specialized stuff. A few months back I picked up an '03 Stumpjumper FSR-XC and could not be happier. It rails, it has a nice plush suspension that still pedals really well and I can clean some techy stuff I used to walk. You can pick up the basic one with disc brakes for $1300-ish, IIRC, and more dough gets you better a better part spec. They are tough, fairly light and Specialized stands behind their stuff.

I also suggest trying everything out, on dirt if you can, before buying. Get what YOU like. Keep in mind the sales people are going to try to sell you a bike they already have in stock, which is not necissarily the best thing for you.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 07-16-2005 at 03:26 PM.