Jared
    Jul 2005

New full suspension bike for me

I have a trek somethin or other bought a few years ago. It has front suspension, v brakes ect. All old technology. I went on vaycation recently and went to durango colorado. I am into mtn biking, so as i walking around i stopped into various bike shops. One guy we talked to starting telling my about the technology that has popped up in the last few years. We talked for a good half an hour about rear suspension, single and double link, stable platform shox, and more. Then bout disk brakes, and on and on. He eventually got into new bikes to buy. I told him i wanted an all mountain bike 500-750 with double link rear suspension and good front suspension, disk brakes (maybe hydralic). He suggested an iron horse bike, but i didn't catch the name. He said it was around 700 dollars, and pointed in his catalogue. Can anyone name this bike? Also what are some other good all mountain mountain bikes that have double link rear suspension, good front, disks, and will hold up for a while? Between 500-800 please!
    I do alot of technical riding right now, but am looking at getting into jumping, maybe a little downhill. I want a bike that can do everything and will hold up. I'm poor, lol and don't want to have to buy new parts frequently!

I know this is a long post. Thanks for any help you can give me!

summary:
    -what was that 700 dollar all mountain iron horse bike?
    -what bikes would you suggest for me?

mtbr member
    I can't answer your first question, I'm not that familiar with Iron Horse. It is possible the shop owner quoted you a price below MSRP. Check out Supergo.com, they carry Iron Horse.
    I would have to recomend looking at hardtails in that price range. The suspension bikes in that price range may not be the best and a hardtail will usually come with better parts, so there's less to replace down the road.
    Disc brakes- hydro's are pretty much out of the question, but that's ok. I've been on a set of Avid mechs for a couple years now, and I'm pretty happy with them. Plus they're easier and cheaper to work on.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but "an all mountain bike 500-750 with double link rear suspension and good front suspension, disk brakes (maybe hydralic)" will easily cost double that. You can always check out used bikes that are just a year or two old. Most people, at least around here, refer to double link as "four bar". For this type, you can check out Specialized, they have a decent range of FS bikes, but I still say you should really be looking at hardtail unless you can increase your budget.

Dirt Displacer
    My wife & I have done a LOT of research on FS rigs, and pretty much, you get what you pay for. As in, maybe a decent frame/suspension design that is severely hamstrung by crappy components.
    And with FS bikes, they can't do everything without being good at nothing. All-mountain/free-ride bikes are like that.

My suggestion is to buy a good used frame, and slowly add to it.
    I.E.- A Kona, GT, Specialized, or Trek frame.
    I'm not to familiar with SRAM components, which are all-in-all good, but anything other than Shimano LX, Deore, XT, XTR, & Saint isn't worth it. But you pay for that stuff.

A decent base price for a basic, new, beginner, all-around, FS mountain bike is about $1200k.
    Downhill FS rigs are start at about twice that.

Look for used bikes on eBay and the different forums on the Net.

My wife found herself a really good '04 Fisher Cake on eBay for about half the price of a new '05, and with better components.

But generally, good used FS rigs are around $1000.

Jared
    Jul 2005
    Ok say i was to slowly build a bike from the ground up, and maybe snag parts from my trek that were good quality. What is a four bar/double link suspension frame (I hear these are the best type of rear sus. correct me if im wrong) that you would suggest. I've never bought a frame so i can't quote a budget or prce range. Im talking reasonable pricing here, I'm 15 and am getting a minimum wage job in a few weeks. Thanks

mtbr member
    The Ironhorse he is refering to, is probably the Warrior Pro, Limited, Or Special Edition. I work at Performance and those 3 bikes range from about $650-$800. They all are a tad on the heavy side, but come with pretty good components. The Warrior Limited comes with SRAM X-7 shifters/ R. Derailleur, Hayes Sole hyrd. disks, FSA crank with the outboard bearing bottom bracket, Rock Shox Bar rear shock, and Manitou Splice fork. Not too bad for $800.

mtbr member
    Typically, a FS frame will run min. $300 for something decent. There's an ad on the classifieds here for some Jamis Dakar XLT frames for $300, that looks like a decent deal. My Giant AC I bought on eBay for $250, it was used and did not have the best shock on it. As far as suspension types, you can have long debates over what's the best; most would say four-bar is better than single pivot, though. If your current Trek is nine-speed and in decent condition, it might be worth transfering parts over. You'd pretty much need wheels, brakes, fork, and most likely a front der., seatpost, seat clamp, and maybe a new bottom bracket. If your a serious online bargain shopper like I am, I could see this being done for $750 or under, if you can do your own work. If you can't, you should learn and get the tools, it will pay off in the long run.

Time is not a road.
    Haro makes some decent FS bikes at reasonable prices. You might also look at Weyless single pivot bikes, too. You could buy a frame and swap parts. The suggestion about used bikes isn't too bad either. We got my fiancee a $1500 frame for $750 on MTBR last year, barely used. Sometimes bikes don't work out for people and you can find good deals.