New Entry Bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Entry Bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

New Entry Bike

New to the forum and to mountain biking. Any thoughts on these two bikes:

http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/pr...3826&fg=Gender

Cannondale Catalyst 3 - Bike America - Overland Park & Olathe, KS - Lee's Summit, MO

I have to stay under $500 right now. Mixed use - ride trails at the lake, regular use through neighborhood, and once or twice/mo to specific bike trails.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorclw View Post

Cannondale Catalyst 3 - Bike America - Overland Park & Olathe, KS - Lee's Summit, MO

I have to stay under $500 right now. Mixed use - ride trails at the lake, regular use through neighborhood, and once or twice/mo to specific bike trails.

The first link does not work.

$500 won't go very far on a new MTB. Are you open to buying a used bike? if you shop used on CL and EB, you can come in on budget and get a better bike.

Life Is Short
    that c dale seems nice. its an entry level---inexpensive fork, Tektro mechanical brakes
    and the drive train screams entry level with components even I never heard of.
    But thats what 500 bucks buys new.

Its a good family bike, something for what you are looking to do. Intermediate to advance mountain biking isn't suited for this model though, you'll hate the weight, shifting, braking and the suspension for rougher terrain.
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    that c dale seems nice. its an entry level---inexpensive fork, Tektro mechanical brakes
    and the drive train screams entry level with components even I never heard of.
    But thats what 500 bucks buys new.

Its a good family bike, something for what you are looking to do. Intermediate to advance mountain biking isn't suited for this model though, you'll hate the weight, shifting, braking and the suspension for rougher terrain.
    I think the first bike is this: https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B...4OQ?th=1&psc=1

Also entry level but may be ok for the occasional trail use. I had the XCT fork on my Talon 29er and it was quite bouncy on New England singletrack but got the job done until I upgraded.

I agree that if it's going to be used for more than an occasional trail, check CL for something better.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodyman View Post
    I think the first bike is this: https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B...4OQ?th=1&psc=1

Also entry level but may be ok for the occasional trail use. I had the XCT fork on my Talon 29er and it was quite bouncy on New England singletrack but got the job done until I upgraded.

I agree that if it's going to be used for more than an occasional trail, check CL for something better.
    I'd stick with the C Dale. Diamondback doesn't scream mountain bike as much as C Dale
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't know about choosing Cannondale over DBack. Up until a year ago i would have agreed 1000% with that sentiment however i snapped the frame on my Cannondale last year and since then have spoken to more than a few people who have done the same exact thing on Cannondale of various model's. Diamond back used to be the BBD back in the early bmx days in the early 80s. I had a super cherry all chrome Dback that was so beautiful it was stolen several times until the final time it was stolen and i couldn't even get the cops to give it back to me. Now diamond back and everything else seems to be owned by Schwinn or the parent company that acquired the mega bike conglomerate. Personally id save for something in the 1500 range to start or if that's not an option go with the 500 used option as someone else already advised. Especially if you want full suspension.

RAKC
    Omg cannondale has gone walmart. That bike is a walmart bike with cannondale stickers!!! Go to Walmart/targer and look at the 200-300 bikes, same damn crap fitted.

Get the diamond back. Your way better off.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Airborne Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by pastorclw View Post

If you must stay in this price range and buy new, spend $100 more and buy this:

Guardian - Airborne Bicycle Co