New to biking.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: New to biking.

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6

    New to biking.

    I am looking for a bike to ride to work that will also be good for a weekend trail ride. I have been looking into Specialized Hard Rock and the Connondale F8.

    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9253

    http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...s/1293-0FS8-F8

    There is an f8 on craigslist brand new for $400, and a 06 hard rock for $200. I have no idea if cannondale are any good, or if its worth the 400.

    I am 5-10, 210lbs. $400 is pushing it on my budget. I am open for any sugestions or advice you might have.

  2. #2
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Getting a bike that fits properly is more important then finding the cheapest price. At 5'10 you will be needing a 18-20" or Large.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BurnNotice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Getting a bike that fits properly is more important then finding the cheapest price. At 5'10 you will be needing a 18-20" or Large.
    Totally agree

    I am 6' and ride a 19.5" Felt. But most important are other considerations to a fit are the stem length; handlebar width; and crank arm lengths could also be a factor.

    Good luck.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the advice... I will definitely make sure i have a good fit... what ever i decide on.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    check the local shops i was able to pick up a trek 4500 alpine for 400 bucks on sale cause it was a 09 model but retail on it was 600 or something like that..... Fit is key and quality as well if you get a shotty bike it will burn you from wanting to ride and ruin the experiance

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    Word!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    Update- I have been doing my research, went out and rode a few bikes. I am leaning towards the Jamis Dakota Sport '09. It has recieved good reviews, has decent components and jensonusa has them for $715 right now. Another plus is i am getting a free trip to cali so i can pick it up from their riverside store. I had to up my price limit,but i think ill be getting a good bike for the bucks. Any thoughts?

  8. #8
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by aj008
    Update- I have been doing my research, went out and rode a few bikes. I am leaning towards the Jamis Dakota Sport '09. It has recieved good reviews, has decent components and jensonusa has them for $715 right now. Another plus is i am getting a free trip to cali so i can pick it up from their riverside store. I had to up my price limit,but i think ill be getting a good bike for the bucks. Any thoughts?
    Now your thinking with the big head!!! Jamis makes awesome bikes with excellent components keeping the price proper. Go get it, set it up, ride some So Cal trails come home and let us know when the grin comes off, my guess is never.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  9. #9
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,211
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    At 5'10 you will be needing a 18-20" or Large.
    ... Or 17" or Medium, depending on how the height is distributed and what brand and model the bike is...

    If at all possible, try before you buy.

  10. #10
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    If at all possible, try before you buy.
    Hes on it

    Quote Originally Posted by aj008
    Another plus is i am getting a free trip to cali so i can pick it up from their riverside store.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    Here is what i decided on... It was a few hundred over my original price point, but i got a lot of bike for a good price! Its a 17" 2009 Jamis Dakota Sport. I have ridden it on the road a bit and i like it a lot... cant wait to get it on some trails. Thanks for the help in choosing a bike!!!


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6

    Your right!

    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Now your thinking with the big head!!! Jamis makes awesome bikes with excellent components keeping the price proper. Go get it, set it up, ride some So Cal trails come home and let us know when the grin comes off, my guess is never.
    Still Grinning

  13. #13
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by aj008
    Still Grinning
    Ride On bro!!!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.