Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New to biking.

848 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  dogonfr 
#1 ·
I am looking for a bike to ride to work that will also be good for a weekend trail ride. I have been looking into Specialized Hard Rock and the Connondale F8.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45759&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/Bikes/Mountain/Hardtail/CO2/Details/1293-0FS8-F8

There is an f8 on craigslist brand new for $400, and a 06 hard rock for $200. I have no idea if cannondale are any good, or if its worth the 400.

I am 5-10, 210lbs. $400 is pushing it on my budget. I am open for any sugestions or advice you might have.

#3 ·
dogonfr said:
Getting a bike that fits properly is more important then finding the cheapest price. At 5'10 you will be needing a 18-20" or Large. :thumbsup:
Totally agree:thumbsup:

I am 6' and ride a 19.5" Felt. But most important are other considerations to a fit are the stem length; handlebar width; and crank arm lengths could also be a factor.

Good luck.

#5 ·
check the local shops i was able to pick up a trek 4500 alpine for 400 bucks on sale cause it was a 09 model but retail on it was 600 or something like that..... Fit is key and quality as well if you get a shotty bike it will burn you from wanting to ride and ruin the experiance

#7 ·
Update- I have been doing my research, went out and rode a few bikes. I am leaning towards the Jamis Dakota Sport '09. It has recieved good reviews, has decent components and jensonusa has them for $715 right now. Another plus is i am getting a free trip to cali so i can pick it up from their riverside store. I had to up my price limit,but i think ill be getting a good bike for the bucks. Any thoughts?

#8 ·
aj008 said:
Update- I have been doing my research, went out and rode a few bikes. I am leaning towards the Jamis Dakota Sport '09. It has recieved good reviews, has decent components and jensonusa has them for $715 right now. Another plus is i am getting a free trip to cali so i can pick it up from their riverside store. I had to up my price limit,but i think ill be getting a good bike for the bucks. Any thoughts?
Now your thinking with the big head!!! Jamis makes awesome bikes with excellent components keeping the price proper. Go get it, set it up, ride some So Cal trails come home and let us know when the grin comes off, my guess is never. :band:

#9 ·
dogonfr said:
At 5'10 you will be needing a 18-20" or Large. :thumbsup:
... Or 17" or Medium, depending on how the height is distributed and what brand and model the bike is...

If at all possible, try before you buy.

#11 ·
Here is what i decided on... It was a few hundred over my original price point, but i got a lot of bike for a good price! Its a 17" 2009 Jamis Dakota Sport. I have ridden it on the road a bit and i like it a lot... cant wait to get it on some trails. Thanks for the help in choosing a bike!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.