mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New bike shopping, its been awhile need help!

Merry Christmas everyone! I went out for a ride today with my son - had a ball, but...I am wanting something newer and lighter. I am hopefully going to be riding in the 24 burn race at N. Wilkesboro, NC this year with 4 other friends. My current ride is a 2006 Iron Horse MK III Comp FS - its a beast!

About me, been riding since 1993 first bike Cannondale Killer V with Headshock. Then Gary Fisher Paragon another Hard tail. In fact I have rebuilt it for my son. He rode it today. I enjoy mt biking very much but have found that I use it more now for exercise as my primary passion is motorcycling - 2007 FZ1. I am early 40s 5'8" 30" inseam and around 210. I really enjoy single track and ride primarily in the Raleigh - Durham area. Have taken some trips to western NC and Snowshoe, WV. I am open to new or used - I don't want to spend more than $1,500 - any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i'd go with Trek. 6 series...pretty good components and good warranty. good luck.

T.W.O.
    If you like the IH DW link, you may like the Trance X, it should be one in your budget. If you can spring more Mojo is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    a few other suggestions would be a Trek EX 5/6, Speci Camber, leftover FSRxc, SC Superlight... other than the SC they may not be as light as you're looking for???

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'll be the first to say it - go for a 29er.

You don't need FS in Raleigh/Durham. Front sus. 9r would do fine. Something like the GT Zaskar Elite at Performance bike comes with a great parts spec. and fits into your price range. It also has a generously low top tube, so standover clearance should be ok for you.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am 6' 1" 220, avid motorcyclist too. The 29 'er seems to fit well. No "scrunched up" feeling, and it is really fast, more likem a dirt bike. Good to hear from a another convert.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i have a jamis dakota elite with carbon seat stays...its nice...just the frame though... $350.00

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I appreciate all of the replies. I am really intrigued with the 9r suggestion... My primary riding buddy just bought a 9r FS and its seems to be much lighter than my Iron Horse. So in the interest of narrowing the choices, what 9r brands do you all like? Have they been around long enough to have a good secondary market (used)? I looked through a couple of the MTB mags at Barnes and Noble and the ones they were testing were $3,500+ too much for this guy

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    if you have all the parts needed but frame + fork + wheels, you might be able to find something for $1500 but doubtful. maybe try something from KHS thru adrenaline bikes. they have pretty good prices for their frames.

you missed out on the salsa big mama closeouts online. might call them up and see if any of their dealers have one left.

you may be able to find something used, I think I saw a voodoo canzo and mama's come up now and then. good luck.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    if you have all the parts needed but frame + fork + wheels, you might be able to find something for $1500 but doubtful. maybe try something from KHS thru adrenaline bikes. they have pretty good prices for their frames.

you missed out on the salsa big mama closeouts online. might call them up and see if any of their dealers have one left.

you may be able to find something used, I think I saw a voodoo canzo and mama's come up now and then. good luck.
    +1

Good 29er FS frames are not cheap. Niner Rip9, and Gary Fisher Hifi, or Rumblefish would be my pick. 4+" travel makes them pretty versatile and comfortable.

For about 2k there's Giant Anthem 29er complete bike. Test rode one and love it.

Of course if you expand your market to Used, then your 1500 would stretch a bit more, but some homework's required

Is it Friday yet?
    You're not going to find much in FS for $1500, and they're going to be heavy. I just bought a Camber Comp for $1500 and it's a good bike, but most of the components are very low end. The Trek Fuel ES 7 is in that price range and I really liked it too. If you can go to $2000, you can get a lot better spec.

T.W.O.
    You can pick up a Used cannondale prophet with lefty for http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.c...bmit=+GO+about 700-800, then if you want you can upgrade later. You can also pick up Intense 5.5 or spider for under 1500, santa cruz. Here's the link check it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro

aren't voodoo's made in the US?

Members who have read this thread: 0