new bike for me and wife which one- Mtbr.com
    rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010

new bike for me and wife which one

the wife and i are in the market for mountain bikes. we both have 20 yr old bikes. mine a giant rincon her a proclass outrider so nothing real good. bikes really have changed considerably. The question i have is for me i tested the trek 4300 and the GF wahoo. which one would be better ? I have two children 7 and 5 and both are now riding 20" bmx the 7yo is now jumping off curbs and i want to get him in some dirt. so i see the whole family soon taking in some trails. Should i spend the extra$ and get disc or is old school brakes fine? what size for each? i'm 5'9 195 LBS says 17.5 GF 18" trek.But not sure what to look for both bikes seem ok just dont know what to look for.
    what bike for wife she isnt sure what to get i;m steering her towards a skye sl a myka or giant ? looking fro a real mountain bike for her as i expect us to have thesea while. As kids get bigger and take to the dirt i fully expect they will dont want to leave her behind. she is 5'3 130 which for her are there any other bikes i'm missing for either of us i should check out. looking in the 500 max or so range.
    Regarding our old bikes are they worth selling? if so how much both are still very ridable just clean up and go. we just want new bikes.

mtbr member
    If you have an REI and a Performance Bike store in your area I would check both stores out. REI has been selling their Bonanza hardtail bike for $600. Its very nicely speced out with 27 speeds and disc brakes. Of course if you are an REI member you will get a 10% credit the following year.

Performance Bike has pretty much made the GT hardtails their house brand. Right now they offer double-points for Performance Team members. If you bought a pair of $500 bikes today you could go in tomorrow with $100 in store credit and pick up some accessories. For the wife I would look at a bike with 27 speeds and hydraulic disc brakes. Your wife is on the shorter side which means she probably doesnt have really long legs. She can probably look at all the bikes not just the "women specific designs". Make sure its the color and size she likes. DONT GET CHEAP . For yourself you could go cheap with 24 speeds and regular disc brake or even rim brakes. You mentioned getting a real mountain bike then get one with 27 speeds and disc brakes.

The bike shop nailed your size down. If you shop at the"LBS" local bike shop remember cash talks. The LBS can be pretty competitive in price if they are motivated.

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks going to a few LBS today. keeping an open mind not settled on any particular bike. But i'm starting to lean more towards disc brakes. sounds like it will be better in the long run. I want to try some specialized today.
    Hopefully the wife can find one today. So if i understand your post she could get a smaller frame mens bike and not just a womens specific frame. The LBS said that the womens frames are better for her and now she has her mind focused on that. I would like her to get a frame with a top tube as LBS said they are structurally stronger and therefore better than there drop tube womans bikes. Any thoughts on that. thanks for your help hopefully this weekend i'll get in the dirt.

mtbr member
    For what your looking to spend disc brakes wont be a problem to find. Your wife shouldn't buy a smaller guys bike, she should buy the one that fits. There is no specific reason to buy a girls specific bike. Good luck finding some new rides.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ok so a little frustrating today. the really big bike shop in my area had not one of the bikes i was interested in trying available in my size. ughhhh. I'm now also cosidering a rockhopper though. so now a trek 4300, GF wahoo, and now a rockhopper.
    on a positive note had the wife try a myka in 15" and she really liked it they just dont have the color she wanted.so back tomorrow to the original bike shop that didnt have anything built for either of us but now aftyer a phone call tonight right befor they closed they told me that they will have all the above built for me and my wife to try and hopefully buy.Thank god. i"m starting to get real frustrated. any opinions regarding the rockhopper vs any of the others i mentioned for myself? the wife will prob get the myka.
    Btw has anyone ever heard of a big store telling a customer to leave a deposit refundable and they will build the bike in my size for me to test ride? I told them no way. you should just have that size built and ready to go. I mean i"m an average size guy not some obscure size that they cant sell.

mtbr member
    I would tell them no way. Any good shop will have every bike model they sell in every size available built and ready to ride.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    A refundable deposit unreasonable-no. Some people will spend a month looking for the right ride maybe even longer. The high end bikes in particular will not be stocked in every size. If you found something you like then I think a refundable deposit is not unreasonable. If the Rockhopper feels right then I would buy it and not look back. A good shop will help with final fitting and some will give credit for replacing seats and lengthening or shortening the stem. The Rockhopper Expert Disc gives you 27 speeds and hydraulic disc brakes. The Myka Expert Disc is similarly speced. Have fun today out on the trail.

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    So i just bought my bike. i got the gary fisher wahoo 17.5 v brake as they did not have any discs and werent sure they could get one for at leat 3 weeks. yeah i cant wait any longer the nice weather is here and i just have to get out there. I'm not even sure i really need the disc brakes. i"ve been riding my whole life with v brakes and have never had a prob stopping. however i was assured i can upgrade to the disc if at some time in the future i have to have them. Needless to say i am super excited and cant wait until tues when i pick it up. the bike shops around here are super busy and i've been noticing bikes seem to be flying out the doors.
    The wife still hasn't selected her bike she is having a hard time trying to decide. The shops dont seem to have a large selection of bikes for her to try. she rode the myka today but wasnt sure. i 'm confident its because she really doesnt know what she wants. i think she wants a cros between a cruise around town bike and light trail use. any suggestions? try as i might to get her a real mountain bike she wont bite. so it will prob be dad and boys in the dirt.
    anyway i cant wait to get out in the dirt this week and break in the wahoo. But a question the guy tolod me that the dirt seems to stick to the wahoo paint job. is that true? he says it can be hard to keep clean. Listenb i'm no neat freak quit the oppisite but is there anything i can and should do to protect it? he had no suggestions. oh and i did notice that the pedals it comes with seem to be for a kid they are real small. what does everyone recommend as an upgrade in pedals? thanks again for all your guidance

Pretty in Pink
    As for the wife, remember to not limit her to just womens specific bikes. There is no rule of thumb here, if she fits on a mens bike, then she fits on a mens bike. Me personally I ride mens bikes almost solely (my road bike is WSD) Get her on a good variety of both mens and womens bikes and see which ones she likes the best.

As for the paint, the bike is going to get dirty, you are likely going to get dirty, at the end of the day just rinse the bike off carefully not using pressurized water near the seals on the fork or the bottom bracket etc. Personally I let nature take care of my bike, if it gets too dirty I detail it, but most of the time it stays as is.

Pedals, there are tons of options here, if you want to spend a little extra money and buy a set of bike specific shoes I would suggest going clipless. It is going to be a little tricky to get used to at first, but it is very worth the extra effort and money, they give you an advantage by allowing you to put power to the wheel on both your down stroke and your up stroke, but unlike cages or toe clips they let you unclip from the bike quickly if need be. If you decide to not go clipless get yourself a nice set of flat pedals with pins, but make sure you are wearing good hard soled flat shoes else your shins are going to hate you.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    so the wife went to another LBS by herself tonight and tried out a few mens bikes. she liked a schwinn frontier and a gt aggressor. she also looked at a rockhopper. Hey now i want a rockhopper w disc.. oh well the GF will have to do. Havent heard anything re any of the above except the RH. what are they and are they worth buying or are they crap.
    wahooooo is what i'll be yelling this weds. and wahoooo i'll be yelling if she gets a MTB to join me in the dirt.

Pretty in Pink
    Just a hint, the wife will almost always get better service at a LBS without you there. Guys are like that.

As for the bikes the Rockhopper to me is the better bang for your buck You get SRAM x4 drivetrain instead of suntour or "schwinn" drivetrain parts. You get disc brakes (if you so choose) instead of linear pull, and The schwinn only has 50mm of travel. But whichever one she likes best really should be the one she gets (aesthetics aside)
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    So finally after much research the wife finally decided on a giant boulder se. She kept going back and forth between a girls bike and then finally decided this was a better fit. So how is this bike?
    On another note my wahoo is great. been out a few times and absolutely love it. Real nice ride. I had read that people complaned about the seat but i dont think its that bad yeah it hurts a little after a ride but not crazy. But i gotta get some new pedals. the ones it comes with suck. but which ones? Any recommendations? flats? Clipless? Not so sure about the clipless though benn getting hung up on this one section of uphill track and everytime have to put a foot down before i roll down the hill sideways. so wonder how i would fare using a pedal snapped in? that would suck falling over like that. but either way looking for some recommendations. Also i think ive been bottoming out my shock on some more technical parts of the trail. i kind of hear a clunk or something. any ideas? Oh and how do i clean my chain and gears properly they are looking kind of grungy getting some build up. What should i do?
    I love this mountain biking thing. gets me out real early and get my exercise. just wish i would have realized how much fn it is earlier.

mtbr member

I have a GF Wahoo as well

I agree the seat is a little tough and the pedals are kind of small, but the pedals you eventually get used to, and you can always buy mountain biking shorts that have the padded chamois. It helps alot on the comfort, plus you can save a little money to buy the kiddies some really nice rides

Members who have read this thread: 0