New bike choice- Mtbr.com

Thread: New bike choice

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

New bike choice

I've been looking into getting a bike for some flat trails and after work/weekend excersice. I went to the LBS the other day to look at a Trek 6000. I sat on the bike 17.5 and 19 models. Unfortunately, it was raining that day and I didn't get to test ride the bike (I'll be back). My questions are: (1) I don't read alot about the 6000, but numerous posts about the 4300 and 4500. The parts look good, and the price seems right. Is there something I don't know about this model (quality, price)? (2) The LBS will offer a tune up after a month or so of riding, is this the norm? (3) Also, I've looked at the mail order bikes and the IBEX alpine 650 seems to have a similar geometry. Is geometry...geometry? I'm 6' 230lbs with a 30" inseam. The 19" Trek seemed to be at the very most of my standover, while the 17.5 inch seemed just a hair small. Any advise would be welcome.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by MTG_63
    I've been looking into getting a bike for some flat trails and after work/weekend excersice. I went to the LBS the other day to look at a Trek 6000. I sat on the bike 17.5 and 19 models. Unfortunately, it was raining that day and I didn't get to test ride the bike (I'll be back). My questions are: (1) I don't read alot about the 6000, but numerous posts about the 4300 and 4500. The parts look good, and the price seems right. Is there something I don't know about this model (quality, price)? (2) The LBS will offer a tune up after a month or so of riding, is this the norm? (3) Also, I've looked at the mail order bikes and the IBEX alpine 650 seems to have a similar geometry. Is geometry...geometry? I'm 6' 230lbs with a 30" inseam. The 19" Trek seemed to be at the very most of my standover, while the 17.5 inch seemed just a hair small. Any advise would be welcome.
    Given your height, i suspect that the 17.5 would be too small. Different brands do fit differently, so try out as many different bikes as you can.

Regarding tune ups... Different shops have different policies. When i got my last bike, i was given 3 free tune-ups, which actually proved to be helpful, especially since it was my first real bike, and i did not have much experience tuning things. On a new bike, the cables will likely stretch, which will degrade your shifting performance. It is a simple adjustment, but if is always nice to take it back to the shop, so they can make sure everything is top notch, and no bolts have loosened or anything like that. Other shops in the area have unlimited tuneups within a certain window of time. Keep in mind, a tune-up may not include as much as one might think. it usually just consists of things such as adjustments, and not overhauls and replacements.

Regarding the trek 6000, (i'm assuming your talking about the 2007 US model), it looks like it has a well rounded lineup of parts. The only thing i am not sure about is the fork. It may be a little soft (offering little adjustment) for a rider of your weight. I don't know if you can get a stiffer spring for that model or not.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Members who have read this thread: 0