Need a XC bike to ride on the road and fire roads cheaply- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Need a XC bike to ride on the road and fire roads cheaply

I'm looking to go back to a hardtail. Currently I have a Cannondale Super V that's completely upgrades to most XT parts. Since my ACL surgery, I've only ridden fire roads and on paved roads, therefore, I want to get a XC bike.

Can anyone recommend a bike to look for in the 500-700 dollar range (used bikes). I don't mind an old Cannondale, but I'm somewhat sick of their 'unique' designs that make maintenance very expensive.

The bike must have disc brakes. 80mm of travel would be optimal, but 100 is fine. A lockout would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!

(If anyone has a bike, let me know)

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Freshly Fujified

Check the MTBR classifieds

dogonfr has made a good recommendation if you want to buy new. If you are looking for a used bike, check the mtbr.com classifieds. That's what the classifieds are here for, to keep everything that's being sold in a specific place and out of the forums

Best wishes in finding the right bike.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You mentioned Cannondales, I like the lockout on their Ultra fork as it is located on the headtube and very easy to access.
    Giant's Ranier has been a consistent best buy with a good frame, nice 100 mm Marzocchi fork and Avid discs. I don't see them on their '07 website but they're about $700 new. Try to find one if you have a Giant dealer locally.

Map Maker
    I second the Giant Ranier. I helped my (beginner) friend pick one up last november he got an' 05 on closeout. hydro discs , SRAM drivetrain and nice entry level Zoke fork. VERY nice bike for the money.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Members who have read this thread: 0