mtbr member
    May 2018

Smile Need some opinions....(new bike)

Looking to pickup a new bike for the season...Tall rider (6ft+) approx 220 lbs - intermediate level rider - most comfortable in blues and most blacks. don't go off jumps or do gaps...yet. Should also note this will be my first FS

Can't decide between the 3. It seems that the RIDE is the best value (lyrik, dropper, better brakes - barely) but I really don't want to wait until June 12th till they become available. Was thinking of picking up the ORIGIN so I can get riding and upgrade the damper in the Yari if needed but after reading reviews it seems like the Yari is perfectly capable.

What do you guys think?

Option 1 (ORIGIN v4.2)
    Option 2 (ESSENTIAL v3)
    Option 3 (RIDE v4.2)

mbtr member
    If i'm reading it right, they're basically the same build, but the ride has a dropper post and a nicer fork, right? If that's the case i'm all about your decision. If i was gonna settle for a 125mm post i'd want a gravity dropper, and while the lyrik RC is supposed to be an upgrade they're a nuisance to service and not thaaaat much better than a yari. I'd rather just go with the yari and put an aftermarket damper in if i was getting in tons of vert.

At 220lbs i'd sell the brakes immediately if you live in the mountains. Get some 4 pots. Or at least some shimano 2 pots.

Personally, i feel like NX/formula hubs/pressfit/monarchRT/internal route... ehh. Not good enough, not the design decisions i'd make. Not a big commencal fan here. This Banshee Rune is a much more appealing package.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just left a very similar post - I'm a similar size and build, and trying to decide between fixing up my old bike, or getting something new (1500 price range or so). I'll keep an eye on this thread!
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2
    2011 Specialized Camber Expert

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Welp...I don't want to derail you, but...you probably saw in my post that I'm similar in size (6'1", 225). I was also shopping for a FS at the $2k price point.

Today, I found a Diamondback Catch 2 - closeout from 2016 - for $1799. They only had Larges left, which is an appropriate size for both of us (my current Specialized is also a Large). It's got a better group than the Commencal, and it's cheaper. One thing I really liked about the Catch is that it uses 27.5+ wheels...wider rim, more air volume in the tires - theoretically this setup can handle more weight/abuse.

If you're interested, this is the link. Best of luck!
    https://www.americasbikecompany.com/...16-catch-2.htm
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L8 APEKS View Post
    One thing I really liked about the Catch is that it uses 27.5+ wheels...wider rim, more air volume in the tires - theoretically this setup can handle more weight/abuse.
    That's something to be careful with. Everyone knows to run a 2.35 EXO DHF/DHR2 and deviate as conditions warrant, but plus tires bring out the weirdos. Oversized tires aren't nearly so refined and so you see non-existent cornering knobs, completely inadequate casings, weird pressure/rim width choices... goofy shit in the plus tire arena. Buyer beware! Sometimes it's tough to identify a tire problem that only manifests when you make mistakes.

Looking at the geo these bikes are largely the same an will have fairly different personalities.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, I suppose I can see that. Though, the same was said of 29'ers not so long ago. And I didn't hear "lack of traction" being mentioned in any of the tests, so I suppose YMMV. Heck, I've had crappy tires in 26" more than once - and those have been around for a hot minute.

For me, being a recreational rider, I don't see that as a huge drawback. I am aware that tire choice is limited - but I buy tires every year or two. I'm OK with that.
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I think you can buy a fixie bike. The Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Bike is a notable option that runs smoothly enough to get you enjoyment. This Fixed Gear Road Bike is lightweight and durable. Study Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Bike review and decide whether this bike is stylish and efficient enough to meet your preferences.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kristynlyles58 View Post
    I think you can buy a fixie bike. The Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Bike is a notable option that runs smoothly enough to get you enjoyment. This Fixed Gear Road Bike is lightweight and durable. Study Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Bike review and decide whether this bike is stylish and efficient enough to meet your preferences.
    We're talking about mountain bikes! :P

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Just to update this thread. Went ahead and got a 2018 commencal meta am 4.2

Took it to the north shore last week and it handled it like a beast. Loving it so far

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by PSY_ View Post
    Just to update this thread. Went ahead and got a 2018 commencal meta am 4.2

Took it to the north shore last week and it handled it like a beast. Loving it so far
    Seriously? I thought for sure you'd go with the fixed gear road bike.

Okay, joking. Who knows wtf that poster was thinking. Anyway glad you're digging the meta am 4.2. Now let's see some photos!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.