mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Need some advice on bike upgrade!!

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post and I am looking for some advice.

I currently have a 2003 Trek 4300. This was my first real mountain bike and it has really helped me get into the sport, but I am now looking to upgrade.

The bikes that I am looking at now, with the prices I was quoted, are the:
    Giant Ranier ($800)
    Giant XTC ($1000)
    GT Avalanche 1.0 ($1000)
    Kona Cinder Cone ($850)
    Kona Caldera ($1000)

Now for all of these bikes I would have to travel out of town (one of the benefits of living in a small town in ND!), but my LBS has quoted me a price on the Trek 6500 w/disks at $700. Furthermore, I could get the Trek 6500 w/o disks for $550. My LBS would also take my old bike as a trade in for around $200.
    I have heard alot of people buying the Trek 6500 w/o disks and upgrading to disks later. This would obviously be the most money conscious choice.
    I would just like to hear some of other input to what everyone wlse thinks would be the best decision. Does the Trek 6500 frame compare to the other choices? The Giant Ranier looks like a really good value also. Maybe there is a completely different choice out there all together!

I apologise for the redundancy of this post, but I hate to make hasty decisions and I would like some other people's ideas.
    Thanks in advance!

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by clinton_1
    Hi everyone!
    This is my first post and I am looking for some advice.

I currently have a 2003 Trek 4300. This was my first real mountain bike and it has really helped me get into the sport, but I am now looking to upgrade.

The bikes that I am looking at now, with the prices I was quoted, are the:
    Giant Ranier ($800)
    Giant XTC ($1000)
    GT Avalanche 1.0 ($1000)
    Kona Cinder Cone ($850)
    Kona Caldera ($1000)

Now for all of these bikes I would have to travel out of town (one of the benefits of living in a small town in ND!), but my LBS has quoted me a price on the Trek 6500 w/disks at $700. Furthermore, I could get the Trek 6500 w/o disks for $550. My LBS would also take my old bike as a trade in for around $200.
    I have heard alot of people buying the Trek 6500 w/o disks and upgrading to disks later. This would obviously be the most money conscious choice.
    I would just like to hear some of other input to what everyone wlse thinks would be the best decision. Does the Trek 6500 frame compare to the other choices? The Giant Ranier looks like a really good value also. Maybe there is a completely different choice out there all together!

I apologise for the redundancy of this post, but I hate to make hasty decisions and I would like some other people's ideas.
    Thanks in advance!
    get discs now
    other than that all those bikes are fine - get the one that Fits YOU best
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess
    get discs now
    Based on what?
    Perhaps we should ask cbchess if he really even has a need for discs. Not sure what the hills are like there in ND. If he's only riding flat rolling terrain, he may never have a need for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    Based on what?
    Perhaps we should ask cbchess if he really even has a need for discs. Not sure what the hills are like there in ND. If he's only riding flat rolling terrain, he may never have a need for them.
    I don't feel as if I need disks. Most of the terrain that i ride is flat I also never ride in mud or rain. Furthermore I do alot of riding in town on asphalt (commuting).

What I am struggling with is that it seems to me that the 6500 w/o disks is a really good deal, and I don't know if I am getting alot more with those other bikes for alot more money.

Map Maker
    get discs now
    other than that all those bikes are fine - get the one that Fits YOU best

I was basing it all on the price - he said $550 for V brakes and $700 for discs. Then he said that he might get the cheaper one and upgrade later - it would cost more later to upgrade - especially if he needs a new wheelset.
    So I said get discs now.
    I would still recommend them as they work great and are relitively a "set it and forget it" type part.

And more importantly I think you should test ride all those bikes and get the one that fits you best - you'll be happier in the long run and ride your bike more.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was basing it all on the price - he said $550 for V brakes and $700 for discs. Then he said that he might get the cheaper one and upgrade later - it would cost more later to upgrade - especially if he needs a new wheelset.
    So I said get discs now.
    I would still recommend them as they work great and are relitively a "set it and forget it" type part.

And more importantly I think you should test ride all those bikes and get the one that fits you best - you'll be happier in the long run and ride your bike more.
    I have to agree with this statement. It is a mistake to not get the discs initially for a little bit more money than to regret it later and have to spend lots more to get the upgrade. Yes, it is important to determine if discs are necessary, but at the same time, it's important to consider whether an upgrade to a newer, more expensive bike is necessary if most of the travel is commuting or asphalt riding. Just food for thought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I personally like the Giant XTC or the Trek 6500 out of the bikes you are looking at. My buddy has the Ranier. Its a good looking bike but it is a brick. I couldnt believe how heavy it was. You might be able to pick up a pretty sweet used bike as well. Good luck and let us know what you choose.