Need a new bike, thinking about a "comfort/commuter"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Need a new bike, thinking about a "comfort/commuter"?

I need a new bike for my commute to work. I have an old Kona that has served me well for 12 years, but the frame is starting to go (the only part that is original). The only riding I do is back and forth to work, mostly pavement but some trail. What I'm looking for is a frame I can buy and put my old (but good) components on. However, I'd also like to get a little more comfortable, a little more "sit up" riding position rather than hunched over the handle bars.

So I guess my question is, what makes a comfort bike a comfort bike, is it just a mountain frame with a high rise stem? How do you do a high rise stem with an ahead set style head set? Do I get a larger size frame than I have now?

A big thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Freshly Fujified

Some answers

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneNavaar
    I need a new bike for my commute to work. I have an old Kona that has served me well for 12 years, but the frame is starting to go (the only part that is original). The only riding I do is back and forth to work, mostly pavement but some trail. What I'm looking for is a frame I can buy and put my old (but good) components on. However, I'd also like to get a little more comfortable, a little more "sit up" riding position rather than hunched over the handle bars.

So I guess my question is, what makes a comfort bike a comfort bike, is it just a mountain frame with a high rise stem? How do you do a high rise stem with an ahead set style head set? Do I get a larger size frame than I have now?

A big thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.
    From what I understand (based on personal experience) , the more upright position that you get from a comfort bike can be obtained by a number of factors. First, the head tube length needs to be considered. Some MTB frames (especially race type frames) have shorter head tube lengths to heep the profile lower. Often you will see top tubes and down tubes intersecting with each other at the head tube. In comfort bikes or other frames with a more upright position, the head tubes are longer and there is a couple of inches of space between where the top tube and down tubes meet the head tube. This makes for a more upright geometry (or so I believe?). Next, consider the stem. As you mentioned, the high rise stems can make a difference. Many confort bikes have adjustable or high rise stems that can raise or lower the bars. I don't know that I would trust one of these for offroad usage. What you can do (and I've done this) is get a short stem (40-60mm) that has a steep rise to it. This combination keeps the bars up and back, and again brings the rider into a more upright position. Lastly, get a bar with a nice rise and sweep, which will help with the position. All of these combined will help you get the desired upright position.

As for a recommendation for a frame, here is the frame I have. I actually bought the whole bike, but the frame is the only remaining original part to the build. My guess is that you can find a frame cheper, but it won't be nearly as sharp looking

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/B-FRM-Details.html

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0