Need help picking a mid level hard tail. Please Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Need help picking a mid level hard tail. Please Help

Hey everyone. I know you guys get these posts all the time but I really want some opinions from the guys thats been doing this for awhile. I am a noob to mountain biking and need some help deciding on a bike with good components that ill be able to grow into and that will get me the most for my money. I know i want disc brakes and a strong frame that can take a beating. Other than that I really don't know much. I use to ride bmx but want to try something different.

1) Your budget. My budget is 600-800 dollars. Nothing over $900

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering?

2011 Rockhopper Comp $830
    http://www.specialized.com/ja/en/bc/...4121&gold_ses=

2011 Rockhopper Int
    http://www.specialized.com/ja/en/bc/...nuItemId=14121

2011 Giant Talon 29er 2 $750
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...11/6966/43134/

Trek 4500 $750
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4500/

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? Cross Country, Downhill, paved paths

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? Hardtail

5) Age and weight. 27, 155lbs, 5'9

6) What sources will you consider buying from? LBS mainly since i live right around the corner to one.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Yes please feel free.

Also what's your opinion on the 29rs? Are they worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ultramarine4000; 08-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First you need to pick a wheel size. Comparing 26ers to 29ers is like comparing apples to oranges. You should go test ride some and see what you think. Ideally you would find someone with a 29er and ride it offroad. A 26er cannot be made into a 29er because the wheels are too large to fit in the frame and fork. Just to let you know the wheel size debate is a very hot topic tight now, so it is really hard to find unbiased information. I will try to list the pros and cons of each in an unbiased fashion. In my opinion neither is better than the other. It all depends on the type of trails you ride and your personal perferences. I suspect however that this thread is going to quickly devolve into a 26er vs 29er hate fest.

26er

Pros- Lighter wheels and tires for better acceleration, and an overall lighter bike. Shorter wheelbase and chainstays to help with climbing and handling. Overall a more "flickable" and maneuverable bike.

Cons- Smaller wheels cannot go over obstacles as well (this is even worse with a hardtail). Not as much traction.

29er

Pros- Larger wheels can roll over many obstacles with ease, allowing you to ride over many things that you would not be able to with 26" wheels, this helps a lot on a hardtail. You get better all around traction as well due to larger tire contact patches. The wheels have more inertia so they tend to keep spinning longer without pedaling, and the larger tires have less rolling resistance. You have access to many slick street tires and can ride on pavement at much faster speeds due to the larger wheel.

Cons- Longer frames and forks add weight. The longer chainstays and wheelbase make cliimbing more difficult and handling slower. The larger heavier wheels accelerate slowly giving the bike a sluggish feel from a stop or low speeds.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That is definitely more info than i got from the bike shop. They just told me that everyone's doing it so you should too. lol. Really I can go either way since this is going to be my first mountain bike. Anyone have any recommendations on whats a better buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well I ended up going with the Rockhopper Comp. I hope I made a good choice. I was hoping for at least one person with a recommendation. Wheres the help people? Thanks to the person who posted above with the info on the 29rs.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramarine4000
    Well I ended up going with the Rockhopper Comp. I hope I made a good choice. I was hoping for at least one person with a recommendation. Wheres the help people? Thanks to the person who posted above with the info on the 29rs.

It's near impossible to recommend a bike to someone over the internet without knowing them and they're riding style. Of course you mentioned downhill, XC and paved paths but thats 3 different styles of bikes all in one for under $900. That just cannot be done!

Read, use the search function, and read some more before you think the guys here are ignoring you. It's just that these type of routine questions pop up everday around here.

I fly build and fly and RC planes and I see the same thing happening day after day on another forum allthough theres are stickys telling noobs what kind of trainer to buy!

ok. rant off and sorry for going off.

You picked a good rig. Just ride it!

TRANCER
    If you rode it and it feels good, then you made a good choice.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Read, use the search function, and read some more before you think the guys here are ignoring you. It's just that these type of routine questions pop up everday around here.

I fly build and fly and RC planes and I see the same thing happening day after day on another forum allthough theres are stickys telling noobs what kind of trainer to buy!

Yeah, I know my way around a search bar for sure. Problem is the only posts i could find were for the entry level stuff and I was looking for more info on the models that were 1 step up. I guess buying a bike is like buying a car. People have their own makes and models to suit their own personality. But i'm a noob, what do i know

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    To make you feel better, I think you made a good choice. The RH is a staple in mountainbiking. The specs are pretty good on that bike and the price looks OK. Now go ride it you new bike!!!

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramarine4000

Yeah, I know my way around a search bar for sure. Problem is the only posts i could find were for the entry level stuff and I was looking for more info on the models that were 1 step up. I guess buying a bike is like buying a car. People have their own makes and models to suit their own personality. But i'm a noob, what do i know
    Funny how that works. I wasn't even considering a Rockhopper untill you mentioned it and ended buying the SL Expert today.

I guess this is a lesson in internet intel. Never discount the individual because you assume the topic has been allready covered a zillion times.

Carry on bro!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Haha glad i could be of some help. I had to order mine so I won't get it until next week .

Texan
    Group hug?

lol

I got some tire breaking down work to do.

Members who have read this thread: 0