Need help with fit on new frame/bike- Mtbr.com
    Baby Bear is in the house

Hope Need help with fit on new frame/bike

My current ride (SS rigid 650B) has a 580-mm horizontal top tube (HTT), running a 75-mm 10deg stem and a 25-mm offset seat post. The frame is a Schwinn Moab (26er), and I am not at all too keen on the rear tire clearance with my 650B conversion. The 2.0 Quasi-Moto fits, but just barely. I don't ride in mud, but am concerned with little stones getting stuck down there and gouging the aluminum stays.

I built up this frame from scratch and always felt a tad stretched out with the 9deg riser I had on the original build. Switching to a 25-degree sweep, 50-mm rise, riser bar was like night and day. I don't know if it was the shorter reach, or the higher front end, but it was sooo much more comfy. I just recently got a Titec H-bar, which, even with the greater 45-deg sweep, has brought my grip position approximately 20mm forward. The "tad stretched out" feeling returned, but I am now a fan of this bar so I'm sticking with it. I might get a shorter stem.

The frame I'm considering as a replacement has much better rear tire clearance (maybe even enough to fit a 2.3 Neo-Moto), but I am between sizes. The small has a 560-mm HTT, the medium, 585-mm.

My question is, should I go for the small and keep my current (75-mm) stem, or get the medium and a new shorter (50-70mm) stem to go with it? If the latter, I could also get a zero offset seat post, but my current, suspension post works so well, I don't think I can part with it
    What are the pros and cons of going with either setup?

I'm not taking it as gospel, but FWIW the Wrench Science fit calculator shows I need an overall reach of 640mm. I like short stems and wouldn't go over 90mm, so this limits my HTT options to a minimum of 550mm. The WS fit system doesn't account for stem rise or seat post offset.

'appreciate any input.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd say get a frame that fits without having to resort to other fixes. In your case that would mean looking for another model and/or manufacturer. However a 75mm stem is pretty short and 90mm is not anywhere near long.

Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    I'd say get a frame that fits without having to resort to other fixes. In your case that would mean looking for another model and/or manufacturer. However a 75mm stem is pretty short and 90mm is not anywhere near long.
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm pretty set on getting this particular brand/model, as there aren't than many choices where I'm from (the Philippines).
    Like I said, I prefer short stems and am pretty used to the 75-mm I'm using now. I can't imagine running anything over 90mm, and can probably even go as short as 50mm.
    I guess the gist of my post is, should I go long TT/short stem, or short TT-long stem? What are the pros and cons of going either way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm pretty set on getting this particular brand/model, as there aren't than many choices where I'm from (the Philippines).
    Like I said, I prefer short stems and am pretty used to the 75-mm I'm using now. I can't imagine running anything over 90mm, and can probably even go as short as 50mm.
    I guess the gist of my post is, should I go long TT/short stem, or short TT-long stem? What are the pros and cons of going either way?
    Stem length will affect handling somewhat but not a ton. What are the other specs on the two sizes? Chainstay length, headtube length, frame angles, trail, etc. They also have an affect on fit and handling. Since you have a preference for short stems it seems logical that a longer TT/shorter stem would be more up your alley. A longer TT also means a larger frame in general. There's pros and cons to larger frames but I'll take a larger frame over a smaller one when inbetween, of course assuming both fit reasonably well. Handling may be a touch quicker on a smaller frame but larger frames can be more comfortable, better balanced and climb and descend better. I've ridden a frame on the small side for me for several years. It was ok but when I got on a larger frame I enjoyed it a lot more, even though the larger bike was a pig and outweighed the smaller one by a large margin. I've now gone to a much lighter setup on a new frame that matches the size of the old larger frame and am even more happy.

Stem length will affect handling somewhat but not a ton. What are the other specs on the two sizes? Chainstay length, headtube length, frame angles, trail, etc. They also have an affect on fit and handling.
    Apart from the seat and effective/horizontal TT lengths, the 2 sizes are virtually identical in other measurements (exactly the same model, just different sizes -- small & medium)

Since you have a preference for short stems it seems logical that a longer TT/shorter stem would be more up your alley.
    Makes sense.

Handling may be a touch quicker on a smaller frame but larger frames can be more comfortable, better balanced and climb and descend better.
    I understand and agree on the balance part (thanks for verifying my musings), but not so sure about comfort, because as I said, my current ride (which is only 5mm shorter than the M frame I'm considering) feels a little too big.
    Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Members who have read this thread: 0