Need help choosing.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Need help choosing.

So Im new here planning on making a purchase real soon so I can go riding with a friend. My local LBS has 2 bikes im interested in.
    1.2009 GF piranha 15.5 frame $750
    2.2010 GF piranha 17.5 frame $850

Now Im 5'9'-10'' From what ive been reading I should be using the med 17.5 frame but the nuts sit right on the top frame. where on the 15.5 I have more room, but not sure about a whole 2 inch stand over height. Naturally I dont want a small bike where I look like a circus gorilla cuz im also 250lbs. The LBS said there was room to move the seat back to give it the same fell of the bigger 17.5 but im stuck. Would a small bike be dumb or maybe something I could throw around easier and control. Thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You want to move the fore/aft position of the seat so your legs are in a good position for pedaling, not to make up for the wrong effective top tube length. Swapping stems is a better way to go but has implications to the bike steering. I'd be kinda suspicious of bike shops talking about moving the seat around to replicate a bigger (or smaller, too) frame size.

How much standover do you have on the 17 inch frame and how comfortable is the bike otherwise? Also, do they sell other bikes in your area? Every company isn't going to fit you perfectly, look around till you get the fit you like best.

David B.

Permanent Noob
    +1

I agree with David. The seat position 1. won't make up that much difference, and 2. should be set for pedaling moreso than sizing. I wouldn't worry about standover so much when it comes to fit. My top tube grazes the boys when I'm standing directly centered over the bike, which is rare. Whether by nature or because of this I've found that I just lean to one side when I put my foot down and no more clearance problem! Just for reference, I'm 5'8-9ish and ride a Trek in the 17.5/18.5 virtual. I'd say go with the bike that feels best when you're on it. From there, small adjustments in seat position and stem size to fine tune it to your liking.
    I'm beginning to overcome my "momentum issues" but even that is happening slowly.

MTB Name - Crustius Maximus

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just found a stumpjumper comp online. that im going to see its a 2007 full suspension. Anything in particular I should look for. besides things like cracks etc. Its pushing the budget at 800 but its a full suspension. Here it is on bikepedia is it a good price at 800?
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...6662&Type=bike

mtbr member

Nice Deal

The price is really good assuming that its had normal wear and tear. You still might find yourself replacing parts in the next couple of months. Dont worry about the standover height so much. You need to be on a 17-18 inch bike or in the case of the Stumpjumper a medium. If you are going to do a lot of street riding then you might want to pass on the bike even though its a good deal and look for something like a Stumpjumper Hardtail.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    mostly trails for now as my friend goes every weekend. he just got the bike serviced..changed cassettes lubed gears etc. so i think this might be it.!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0