mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Need help with big purchase!!!

OK guys I'm looking to buy a full suspension xc bike. I have been riding the same bike for the last 10 years, an airbourne ti hardtail with chris king hubs raceface cranks and bb xtr v-braks and rear derailer. I'm running a 9 speed with a paul guide, manitou r7 forksit weighs in at about 22lbs. I like to do sport level races, and one or two xterra offroad tri's I'm usually good for a 12 hour or an adventure race a year as well all int the maryland, northern va, and pennsylvainia area.

I go about 5'10" at 170lbs
    So the bikes I have been considering are the

Santa cruz blur
    Scott spark (saw a small spark 40 for $2,500 on ebay)
    Ellsworth truth

I'm a little scared of the carbon bikes being fragle but that could be that last time I looked for a bike was 2000 or so. As far as price I don't want to buy a bike and wish I would have stepped up with that extra money and got that better bike

Please help!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't think you need to fear carbon. The fact that you've been riding a 22 lb bike with and R7 fork leads me to beleive you're not particularly hard on your equipment. I still have a 15 year old carbon hardtail that's still going strong.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    OK with that said is the Santa Cruz Blur XC xtr build worth the money? That is the bike I would lean too but the price and carbon was holding me back. Even at a discount, is $4,500 dollars worth the differance for a $2,500 scott spark 40 or comperable bike for $2,500 or so?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eod2135
    OK with that said is the Santa Cruz Blur XC xtr build worth the money? That is the bike I would lean too but the price and carbon was holding me back. Even at a discount, is $4,500 dollars worth the differance for a $2,500 scott spark 40 or comperable bike for $2,500 or so?
    Your biggest issue is you're used to riding a 22 lb bike. It cost a lot of money to get a full suspension bike light. Looking at the components on the Spark, I would guess you're looking at 29 - 31 lbs. I'm ok with a 30-pound FS, but you may not be.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

T.W.O.
    Ibis Mojo SL WTF would be the same weight as your current HT with 5.5" of travel. It's great for 12hr event as well.

There are a lot of good Titus sales now, Jenson has them from 600-900 for Racer X, FTM frame.

I have the SC Blur LTC I think it's also awesome. It's not that much slacker than XC and weight penalty is very small.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I came from a 19-pound Cannondale XC race hardtail and settled for this after test-riding over 30 carbon, titanium and aluminum FS bikes. So what if it only weighs 22.3 pounds...its CLIMBS BETTER than my old hardtail!!!

"This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What is that the anthem 1? I just found a 2010 scott spark 20 on ebay for $2,500 but my local bike shop owner is pushing me to a anthem 1 or 2 29er. I got to be honest thought I looked at them and I wasn't a fan of the look of color schemes. I know that is stupid of me but it still the chrome and blue just didn't work for me I did look at the Mojo sl that is a sweet bike thanks for adding a bike to the mix so now I'm going to do my research on the Scott Spark 20 becuase I can get one cheap. If that falls through then I'm between the Santa Cruz Blur and the Scott Spark the Ellsworth is out but the Mojo might creep in

T.W.O.
    I'm just not a big fan of Scott for a while they were doing a lot of funky remotes stuff. Just look cheesy, not to say that I don't like remote but man the plastic stuff just bothers me quite a bit. I'm sure the newer ones are much better but it just stuck with me. I do like their big travel bike though, Yum.

Discliamer: not a big fan of XC geo, long stretch out. flat back.

Santa Cruz at least has a shorter cockpit, easier to move around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Rethink the truth. Demo one if you can. The company has also come along way in customer service. If you like to climb as much as I do the Truth is a mountain goat and extremely fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    O. K. guys here is where I'm at

2009 new Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon XTR kit $4,600

2011 new Giant Anthem 1 or 2 29er $3,300 (Local Bike shop is pushing it)

2010 used Scott Sprak 20 $2500

Any good websites for bike sales I have used JensonUSA, Cambria, Greenfishsports, and HucknRoll Maybe I'll squeeze that Truth back in.

I looked at the Mojo but I want a bike that is a little more established. bigger company when spending this kind of money

Thanks for all the input guys when I do finally buy this thing I will post pictures

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by eod2135
    O. K. guys here is where I'm at

2009 new Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon XTR kit $4,600

2011 new Giant Anthem 1 or 2 29er $3,300 (Local Bike shop is pushing it)

2010 used Scott Sprak 20 $2500

Any good websites for bike sales I have used JensonUSA, Cambria, Greenfishsports, and HucknRoll Maybe I'll squeeze that Truth back in.

I looked at the Mojo but I want a bike that is a little more established. bigger company when spending this kind of money

Thanks for all the input guys when I do finally buy this thing I will post pictures

You'd be surprise with Ibis customer service. Just do search on the forum. As for the ride, it's a formidable competitor to those on your list to say the least. It has 1.5" more travel, and snappy pedaling, competent descender. If you get a chance give it a test ride, since you are spending this kind of money.

Members who have read this thread: 0