Need help: 26 vs 29 Funk La Ruta frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Need help: 26 vs 29 Funk La Ruta frame

Howdy,

I am going to order a custom Funk La Ruta frame next year and don't know what size to get. The company normally makes the frame as a 29er, but is willing to and has made a handful of 26 inch versions already.

I mainly ride the very tight and technical trails by my house with very rocky terrain, but no downhill sections.

The frame will have 80 mm of rear travel and a 100 to 120 mm front fork regardless of which size frame I get.

I am going to order it with an eccentric bottom bracket and frame splitter so that I can run the Gates Centertrack belt drive.

People have run the 29 inch version with a belt and it is fine, but, I am wondering if the increased suspension activity on the 26 inch version due to the wheels' smaller diameter will cause to much action for the belt to handle. The frame only has about 1mm of rear chainstay growth in its 29 inch version.

So, since I mainly stick to my local, slow, tight, technical trails and also want to bomb down our numerous gravel oil well roads, which version do you think I should order? I highly doubt I will ever do downhill riding.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was just doing a search for Funk and saw your post from way back. Did you ever get the La Ruta? I just finished assembling mine last Wednesday. I went with the 29er and I ride tight, rooted, rocky and twisting trails in the pacific northwest. I have riden 3 times and do not regret the move up to the 29er. The bike is sublime to say the least!

James

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i was going to buy one until i lost my job and moved back home to IL :-(

i would order one that could handle 650B wheels but be good for 26 inch wheels still as well.

may i ask what your total build cost was?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dude, I am so sorry to hear about the gig lose! Hope you are working or are at least interviewing! I'm sure you will be sporting a new La Ruta soon enough!

The total cost of the build was $7800.

Here is a pic.

Need help: 26 vs 29 Funk La Ruta frame-funk-complete-build.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    that looks really good

what does it weight?

do you find the single front gear to be good enough for hardcore climbing and for fast straights and downhills?

what tooth front ring is that and what range is the rear cassette?