Authority is dead!

In need of a hardtail and your help!

Ok, so I'm getting a hardtail early '05 (Jan/Feb). I'm was pretty sure that it would be used pre '03 P.3 as had one before and just loved it! But, for little more money I could get say slightly used 2004 Kona Stuff with better build. The question is: if I don't have any bike shops around that carry specific bike (say Kona), how do I know whether it will be good for me or not? I'm looking for a small frame, 16" probably that is easy to jump, but still rideable on the techy trail. I also would like to do some basic trials as well as some skate park. In other words, back to fun from full squish to sharpen/gain new skills. Looking tospend no more than 500$ on a complete bike. Suggetions, ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Ok, so I'm getting a hardtail early '05 (Jan/Feb). I'm was pretty sure that it would be used pre '03 P.3 as had one before and just loved it! But, for little more money I could get say slightly used 2004 Kona Stuff with better build. The question is: if I don't have any bike shops around that carry specific bike (say Kona), how do I know whether it will be good for me or not? I'm looking for a small frame, 16" probably that is easy to jump, but still rideable on the techy trail. I also would like to do some basic trials as well as some skate park. In other words, back to fun from full squish to sharpen/gain new skills. Looking tospend no more than 500$ on a complete bike. Suggetions, ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
    Without riding the bike prior to purchase, there's no way to tell if it will be right for you. Perhaps locating a shop that's not local, but within a commutable distance, and trek out there one day with a lengthy trial ride in mind. Call ahead and let them know your intention so the bike is ready upon your arrival.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Authority is dead!
    Don't have any that would carry bikes I want, thats the problem.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

veinte nueve pulgadas

you could...

Find a bike that fits perfectly, then go to the manufacturer's website and get all of the frame specs. Compare them to the Kona, or whatever you want and see how far off it is. That's just an idea.

For example, I know my litespeed fits like a glove, and I hope to get a steel hardtail with identical specs. I have a excel spredsheet setup with all of my bikes relevant dimensions and then the specs of several manufacturer's steel hardtails. I've found that many are nearly identical.

Members who have read this thread: 0