need a bike in the sub $300 range- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

need a bike in the sub $300 range

I'm brand new to cycling and want a bike to go on day rides and ride 1 mile to work. I'm 235# and want a MTB, I'm going to get street tires for smoothness. Thanks for the help. Feel free to ask me any needed Qs.

Explosive
    How tall are you?

Here are a few that could work.

Gary Fisher Mako

IBEX Alpine 350

Specialized Hardrock Sport But it is $360

Trek has a few as well. <300 bikes are out there but just dont expect too much, and you might not want to read these forums too much as they may make you a little envious of the nicer bikes.

But Ill let people who know what they are talking about help you out know. . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm 5'10.5". I just got back from a shop where there is a Trek 820 for $239 it's on sale from $310. Am I right in thinking the steel frame will suit my 235#?

Explosive
    Quote Originally Posted by erknjerk
    I'm 5'10.5". I just got back from a shop where there is a Trek 820 for $239 it's on sale from $310. Am I right in thinking the steel frame will suit my 235#?
    You should be alright with any frame material, but my LBS has the 820 for under $250 everyday. Pretending to have something on sale just infuriates me.

mtbr member

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Got a car and friends in BC ? Pop north with claims to be going riding.. bring all your gear except a bike. Stop at a cdn tire store and buy one of the raleigh adrenaline's... they're half price at $225cdn till the 11th. Its the same frame KHS uses as their XC104/204/604 but with a different parts build (compares close to the 104 though). They only have them in the medium (18") size though. So you can get a full suspension within your budget, even with the gas prices the way they are to cross the border and back. Ride the thing a bit there, get mud on the tires and stuff, and the US border crossing guards will believe you when you say you already owned it.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0