Need advice on where to go from here...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Need advice on where to go from here...

Hey guys and gals!

OK so here's my brief story...bunch of my friends love to mountain bike and talked me into buying one. I bought a 2006 trek 4300 this past spring for 200 bucks...it is in great condition (everything stock..v-brakes, gila fork etc.) I went mountain biking several times in southwest VA and western NC and I absolutely love mountain biking. Now I would like to be clear in saying that I am by no means 'great.' In fact steep downhills with very narrow paths and a lot of switchbacks still get me sweatin. But I do aspire to get better...anyways I was really looking for a new bike to get in the fall and I need some advice on where to go from here...

First, my frame is 18 inches and I think its a little small for me (5'11") but I feel OK riding it so I have been thinking of just upgrading the parts that I desire ( new wheels, disc brakes and a new fork). But then I saw that I could buy a new bike and get these same parts...maybe not as great as if I had upgraded...but for a lot cheaper and I could get my frame sized right for me....and then....I met the 29er. So I'm stuck between, do I upgrade, buy a new 26" bike or buy a 29er...On a side note...because I am sort of a novice...I do not want to break the bank...I'd ultimately like to keep it under 600 bucks...but 700 would be my upper limit. I've seen bikes like the Trek GF Marlin 29er...the specialized hardrock or rock hopper...can't remember. Anyways, what is yalls advice? I'm very interested in hearing the opinions.

-Bean

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would personally get a new bike rather than put money into that. Definitely get a bike that fits you perfect first of all. To decide between 26 and 29 you have to ride each, everyone has there own opinion. I have a hardrock sport disc and i love it so far, thats in your price range at $590.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A $600 bike isn't going to be much better than what you have, unless you find another used bike. You may be better off riding the 4300 and saving for something that would be substantially better.

Many people prefer a bit smaller bike for trail riding because it's easier to throw around. Of course, it's all preference. You may try a longer stem to lengthen your cockpit. A small change in length can make a big difference there.

AZ
    banned
    If the bike is the wrong size to begin with , any upgrades are like putting lipstick on a pig , a new ride seems to be warranted .

Members who have read this thread: 0