mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Listen! Need advice, new bike or what

Ok I currently have a 2004 Schwinn Aluminum Comp Wal-mart bike. Actually served me pretty well so far, went through one rear derailleur and two rear wheels. I've taken it riding places I wouldn't have thought it would survive, single tracked more than a few times. Anyways the second rear wheel (got a free cheapo from a friend) just went through its final paces....i think it has roughly 10 broken spokes and won't spin around in the frame...lol gave out only a few blocks from home so I just carried it back.

I like to ride around the town hop curbs, go down stairs from time to time, and enjoy hitting the trails. Usually don't hit jumps but won't back off a 3-4 foot drop, and with time may start hitting jumps again. Of course I enjoy riding wheelies, I seem to think that has done a lot of the damage to my rear wheel. My bike now also has those stupid grip shifters and when taking drops or popping wheelies I sometimes shift on accident.

Just wondering what bikes to look for, thinking used craigslist, or should I just get a new decent wheel set and ride it to death. In college now and don't want to drop a lot of coin on a bicycle when I don't know how much I'll ride it after schools over. Just to give an idea of how much I would spend, probably around 600-800? Oh yea I've seen on jensonusa.com they have Jamis Parkers complete for 799, to me that sounds like my ideal type of bike.

mtbr member
    You dont have a lot to pick from of CL if you live in a relatively flat state and if you live in a college town even though there are a lot of bikes most are pretty cheap. You could be looking for a while on CL finding the right bike. The Parker for the money would probably work for around campus and on the trail. The only downside might be getting the right size down. Its a full suspension and its probably a little on the heavy side so that might also be a consideration. If you were looking at used full suspension you might consider Giant NRS and Specialized Enduro or Stumpjumper used.

In the price range you are looking at I think if you have a Performance Bike store nearby I would check their bikes out. In the price range you are looking at i would prefer a new hardtail or a used full suspension. The Amasa Super Comp at Performance I think is fairly attractive for trails. Maybe not quite as good for drops though.

Members who have read this thread: 0