Need Advice on Mountain Bike Setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need Advice on Mountain Bike Setup

HI Everyone,
    This is my first posting and I hope you experts out there can offer some advice.

Background:
    When I was younger, I was very much into mountain biking and had good knowledge of bike repair/building and components. I got away from biking for many years and have recently rediscovered it in a big way and am very passionate about it. It started in early spring when I decided to get a child seat to take my 2-1/2 year old on short rides on bike paths and around the neighborhood. I have an old 1995 GT Zaskar which doesnt have braze ons to mount the rack for the seat so I purchased a base model 2009 Specialized Hard Rock to suit this purpose.

Since then I have become lets say obsessed over bicycling, purchased a road bike and ride nearly every day. During the week I ride road, and on the weekends, I get together with friends and ride local trails. I also plan to switch from road to mountain when the weather gets cold here in New England. This is where I need advice.

I have had my GT zaskar frame since 1995 and it is a 19" frame. I am 6'1 and I have always felt it was a bit small for me. I originally had an Avalanche 20" but GT offered me the smaller 19" Zaskar frame as a warranty frame so I took it.

Now being older, I am not finding the frame comfortable for me. After riding my Hard Rock and some friends modern bikes, I find the newer geometries more comfortable. So here is the dilemma. I dont want to spend any more money on bikes right now as I have already purchased 2 bikes this year and a lot of gear ( I think my wife would divorce me!) and I like the size and geometry of the Hard Rock. Would it be worth putting my old components from my Zaskar on the Hard Rock. It is a mix of mid 90's Deore LX and XT components in good condition and decent double walled mavic rims (recently replaced or should I just continue riding the Zaskar with old geometry, cantilever brakes, and Quadra 21 shocks and use the Hardrock to tool around the neighborhood and bike paths and at some point in the future buy a new bike.. One thing to note is the Zaskar has the original Deore LX shifters which do not have the V-brake levers so I am stuck with the cheap 7 speed shifters on the Hard Rock.

Also, any idea what the Zaskar would be worth if I were to sell it.

Sorry for the long posting. Thank you for your thoughts.

Scott

mtbr member
    I am not sure if its worth swapping anything over to make a "better" bike. Your components are 15+ years old on the Zaskar. The Zaskar frame has some value but not as much as some older frames. I would probably try selling the Zaskar for maybe $200. I would then try to sell the Rockhopper for maybe the same amount. With some cash in hand I would look for a "used" bike. Your next problem will be deciding whether to get a full suspension bike or a hardtail with 27 speeds and disc brakes. Heres an example of a decent full suspension bike that wont break the bank. I like the Giant NRS and Stumpjumpers from 2003-2005 for FS bikes in the $600-$850 range. You should be able to get a decent hardtail with disc brakes for $500 or less used. For winter riding I would get some studded tires and stay with flat trails and streets. I would probably use the Hardrock for the main ride until I had enough money set aside to go for another bike.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/1402727468.html

mtbr member
    Hi Thank you so much for the advice. I had the exact same thoughts but wanted to hear it from someone else and in fact have been watching craigslist. I guess my question really comes down to is I don't want to by another bike this year and will the Hardrock hold up to off-road riding until I decide to buy something else. I am not a particularly aggressive or fast rider. I ride mostly cross country, however there are some pretty technical trails (mostly rocks and roots) where I ride locally. I cant sell the HR because I use it to ride with my son with child seat. If I did, I would have to buy another hard tail with braze ons and dont particularly want to do this because I think I would go FS when I upgrade.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Since then I have become lets say obsessed over bicycling, purchased a road bike and ride nearly every day. During the week I ride road, and on the weekends, I get together with friends and ride local trails. I also plan to switch from road to mountain when the weather gets cold here in New England.
    You're in new england? no cyclocross?

maybe use the old bike to run errands?

i have a 1980's raleigh glacier mtb i leave at my camper and it sees some action now and agin

it's hard to budget all the bike stuff, especially when you have road & mtb (me too). i sawp out parts on 3 different frames from parts on 2 bikes. it's hard to recoup that money.

especially when you can get a good whole bike for less than the sum of the parts

mtbr member
    Actually I have considered trying cyclo-cross but I will need yet another bike :-). Went the races in Gloucester, MA last Sunday. Was a lot of fun especially early in the day when it was wet and muddy!

mtbr member
    i am not familar w/your old mtb, but may be able to use it for cyclo cross?

my old raleigh glacier could work but i think i'm too wimpy for cyclo cross

Members who have read this thread: 0