Need Advice: '04 Stumpy vs. '08 XC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Need Advice: '04 Stumpy vs. '08 XC

For about the same price, I'm deciding between a 2004 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (good condition, XT/XTR) and a 2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp (Deore/LX). Both have stock original equipment/components. The '08 FSR XC Comp is obviously much newer, but I also realize it's positioned as more of an entry level bike vs. the Stumpy. I've stopped mountain biking back in the late 90's and I'm now just starting to get back in so I'm ignorant about setups and technological milestones, especially since I know that Shimano changed up the hierarchy of their Groups. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Without looking at both bikes pretty close its really hard to form an opinion. I have a 2004 bike that has been ridden pretty hard. Right now I would say the fork needs replacing, the brakes are only serviceable, and the crank rings have seen better days, seat is wornout. I would lean towards the FSR rather than the Stumpjumper without seeing each bike. If the Stumpjumper still has the original Roll-X tires on it and there isnt much wear then take a good look at it.

Members who have read this thread: 0