my available choices, 08 epic marathon 08 stumpjumper elite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

my available choices, 08 epic marathon 08 stumpjumper elite

so there are my choices, what would you go for, theres an epic marathon in my LBS id be getting a good deal on it, if i want to try the SJ ill have to wait until after christmas to try it, i tried out the epic and it was very nice, very light excellent componants, i ride roads plus aggressive xc, steep rocky up hills fast technical downhills and rugged rocky dry flat terrain, i dont do jumps or drops i try to keep my wheels on the ground, my current bike is a specialized xc which handles all that i do well i am just in the market for a better second bike and those 2 are my best choices available, which would you go for?

mtbr member
    Well, one can over-simplify this and it might help you out. So, which do you prefer; do you like the saddle over the grips, or even with the grips? If you like it over the grips, then odds are you are the type of rider to appreciate the Epic. If you like it level with the grips, then you might prefer the Stumpy FSR (even with the new geometry).
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well my saddle is over the grips on my xc and i find it comfortable, i dont even bother lowering it for downhill sections i just shift my weight back behind the saddle and go for it, the saddle on the marathon wasnt exactly comfortable though and i dont need a set back seatpost im more comfortable over the crank, plus the bars were set at the lowest i would like to try them again with a bit of rise to them, it felt like a really good bike the RLC fork is excellent and there doesnt seem to be any problems coming in over here about the brain

Members who have read this thread: 0