Thread: Msrp

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Msrp

Is it common to pay MSRP for a bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Most do

I would say most buyers pay retail, and of course that's good for the bike shops as their margins aren't great and operating costs keep increasing. That said though it never hurts to ask about any pending sales on a brand or particular model. One shop I went to did 20% on every bike in the store during the early Spring months to get the buying season jumpstarted . On higher level special order bikes they offered me the same deal as well. I bought a left over Kona from another shop for my son and the they offered a 10% deal on a second new bike. I jumped all over it. They also offered 10% discount on any thing you bought there for the balance of the calendar year. Pretty sweet. I guess it all varies from shop to shop and what time of year it is. Best deals are generally found on left over stock if you can find what you're looking for. I would say most shops I've dealt with had some sort of program to try and get your business. Some throw in tune ups etc.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.