mountain biking noob movin to the rockies...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

mountain biking noob movin to the rockies...

Well, I have biked a bit before. I ride an ancient Hoo Koo E Koo and love it, but I know that i will get my ass kicked on a real mountain with it (i'm used to bunny hills in Minnesota).

I'll be in grad school in Ft. Collins for the next few years and I want to get into mountain biking seriously. I am hoping that someone can give me a few suggestions for bikes to start out with.

Vitals: 5'11" (avg. length legs), 160lb, 22 yrs old
    Budget: 1500 +- 300
    Open to: cross country and free ride - hard tail or full suspension, but I will use the bike to commute so I'm leaning towards a hardtail

I am open to buying a used bike - i see no point in effin up a brand new one. Craigslist/ebay/local bike shops are all game.

here is one that i just stumbled on. no idea whether or not its a pos:
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/bik/1719283533.html

Thanks for your help!

Alex

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Welcome to mtbr! I don't know if this helps or not, but if I were living in CO, I would definitely be hitting the trails every weekend. If this sounds like your kind of thing, I would recommend full suspension with lock out for your everyday commuting.

I'm a college student from Kansas (I would kill for bunny hills), but last summer some of my friends and I rode the famous Monarch Crest Trail. We rented full suspension Rocky Element 10 and thought it was a solid bike. I for sure put it through some nasty wipeouts and it came out solid. The trail itself was quite a jaw dropper from what we were expecting (in a good way), I highly recommend it come late June early July.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I got my 08' element 50 for about $1800 when the 09's started coming out. They have raised the msrp since then, but it's just an example of deals that can be had.

Members who have read this thread: 0