mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Mountain bikes for the vertically challenged.

I'm 5'-7" and have been looking into building a dream bike and finding that it's hard to find a frame with the right combination of virtual top tube length and standover hieght. The standover is usually to high.

I like the Niner R.I.P. and the Voodoo Canzo, and maybe my next question will probably seem like it's out of left feild.

With suspensions getting longer, would there be any advantages for builder's to design a bike with smaller than 26" wheels?
    Last edited by GambJoe; 12-21-2010 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    standover issues being too small? meaning not enough room?

I'm not 100% sure about this (no 9r experience) but one of the issues you're having is that the bikes you are looking at are 29rs.

At your height, look at what Santa Cruz offers. They tend to run shorter ETT than most.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm 5'7" and have never had a problem finding frames that fit me. There are plenty out there.
    Not sure where you've been looking..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    standover issues being too small? meaning not enough room?
    I'm not 100% sure about this (no 9r experience) but one of the issues you're having is that the bikes you are looking at are 29rs.

At your height, look at what Santa Cruz offers. They tend to run shorter ETT than most.
    Yeah not enough room.

Most 26" bikes with longer than 100 mm fork travel and 29r's with 100mm fork travel will give me stand over problems if they don't have a bent top tube. If 29r's went to over 100mm travel I probably wouldn' be ride one.

mtbr member
    I don't know about you but I don't plan on standing over my bike much, just riding it mostly.... Stand over for me is pointless. Especially mountain biking when you will never be on level ground. I'm a little over 5'8" and shop strictly on top tube and angles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

T.W.O.
    I'm 5'7" with shorter leg and longer torso, I had first gen Rip9 and it fit me OK. I've tried it with 90mm stem but settled for 70 for the best feel, and my preferred handling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just practice leaning the bike to stand on yer feet from the saddle. I

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yeloblammo
    I'm 5'7" and have never had a problem finding frames that fit me. There are plenty out there.
    Not sure where you've been looking..
    If found that most designs, that I checked cut it close in the stand over dept. Maybe asking for 2 or 3" is to much? Is 1" good enough?

Maybe I should have left it at the question. I'm interested in the positve/negatives of a smaller wheel bike.

mtbr member
    1" is plenty if everything else fits... honestly as long as I can stand over it and the TT is right it works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am 5'6" and my small fuel ex frame is a tad, uh, urm..........small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check out the Knolly offerings. I'm on the shorter side as well, and when I was looking for a bike, every full susser that I rode felt way too big until I demoed an Endorphin, which felt great, and it was even a Large. One of my requirements was having a low standover height, because I like to be able to bail, or even just stop and dismount, without having any interference from the bike. There was even an article out at the time explaining how well their bikes were suited to shorter riders, but I can't seem to find it now. I ended up with a Medium Endorphin, and it has been great. You will not be disappointed if you go with a Knolly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The TT/"standover" height thing is overrated IMO. I'm 5'7" and ride a small GT Sanction 1.0 full-squish with a 6" fork comfortably. GT's run really BIG so there's basically zero standover even with a bent top tube setup.

But who cares? In years of riding multiple different rigs I have never crashed and got "hung up" landing on the top tube. Usually bail to the side, fortunately never OTB.

Yeah, proper sizing is important for shorter guys (none of us are going to be on some XL niner anytime soon but I don't see the need to sacrifice wheel diameter and the suspension you want in going to some pygmy BMX-like kids' size MTB so you can get 3" of standover clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    The TT/"standover" height thing is overrated IMO. I'm 5'7" and ride a small GT Sanction 1.0 full-squish with a 6" fork comfortably. GT's run really BIG so there's basically zero standover even with a bent top tube setup.

But who cares? In years of riding multiple different rigs I have never crashed and got "hung up" landing on the top tube. Usually bail to the side, fortunately never OTB.

Yeah, proper sizing is important for shorter guys (none of us are going to be on some XL niner anytime soon but I don't see the need to sacrifice wheel diameter and the suspension you want in going to some pygmy BMX-like kids' size MTB so you can get 3" of standover clearance.

1) I've crashed to, and never landed on my head but I still wear a helmet.

2) You're probabably right about the look. To me a 29er looks right.

But would there be any technical advantages with a smaller wheeled bike?

Members who have read this thread: 0