• 01-16-2007
    traumamagnit
    mountain bike comfort, road bike speed,which bike?
    I have a specialized tri cross and a hardrock, the only problem is I love the comfort of the hardrock and like the speed of the tricross but the tricross is not comfortable after 2 or so hours in the saddle, any thoughts on a mountain hardtail that I can run long distance on the road with? the hardrock is way too heavy for 50 mile rides. Any and all help will be appreciated:out:
  • 01-16-2007
    Becane73
    Lighten up your hardrock with lighter components. Especially the wheel. Cranks, Shocks. If you buy a new bike it'll be hard to match the geometry with your body type, that's something you'll have to find out on your own.

Reducing the rotational weight on your wheels is probably the best place to start.
    http://www.rickdenney.com/october_1999.htm
    Quote:

Weight on a wheel affects the wheel’s rotational moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of how the weight is distributed on the wheel. The common wisdom is that rotational weight counts twice what non-rotational weight counts. That’s because to accelerate a bike, you have to pick up translational momentum, which is what you gain moving down the road, and you also have to pick up angular momentum, which is what you gain spinning a wheel.
    As far as light hardtails go, anything over $1000 should be pretty light. If you need some pointers check these out:

Specialized Stumpjumper
    Trek 8000/8500
    Gary Fisher Zigarrat/Big Sur (love the carbon chainstays)

For some reason I just love the Fisher hardtails, they just seem to glide.
  • 07-23-2011
    Namihl
    Gary Fisher Zigarrat rocks!!!
  • 07-23-2011
    CS2
    Try a steel cross frame. Maybe a few pounds heavier than the Specialized but overall a better ride. My main ride has Reynolds 531 frame and fork with Specialized 700 X 32 tires and a Brooks saddle. It's a little on the heavy side but the ride doesn't get any more plush. Good luck on your search.